male or female

rita2paul

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Gloucestershire
when will the males start to mate.

are they girls or boys. any help would be great.

these two i think are girls. but this one started off with speckled chest but has gone very brown? not sure on this one.

If they aren't the Pharoah type I can't gauge sexes.

I have a pen of rosettas that I know there is one for sure male. He crows constantly.
Out of 14 the rest will see when I get eggs.

They look like my girls some only have a few speckles under there chin others have lots
smile.png
so do u have the girls in the eglu and boys in your other cage ?
i had a feeling they are girls. my other pen had boys that i was not going to keep, i thought i had two boys in with the girls, but it looks like i don't have any males left.
so i am going to buy a boy to go with the girls, have you ever add new stock, not sure how that will go down with the girls.

Hey I did think about it after I lost my two girls but I have read so many horror stories about introducing new birds that I'm too scared to do
so if you do you have to put the other birds in another cage next to the group for up to a week before putting in same cage if you have a large aviary it is easier apparently. I did have an issue with a hen picking one another and they came from the same hatch ok now but I had to separate the nasty one for a week but been ok since

Here is the good suggestion from one of the threads on how to introduce new quail to an established flock:

There are a lot of posts on here about that, but to sum it up:
House them next to each other for a couple of weeks. That will allow them to get used to each others presence. And it will allow the two young ones to get a little bigger - it doesn't sound like they are the ones in trouble right now, but that's probably only because they are the ones that are used to living there and thus are defending their territory. It'll also allow the one that's hurt to get better.
When introducing them, do so in a cage that's new to all, as weirdones suggested. That way, neither will feel it's their territory. Heavily rearranging the old cage might also help.
It has also been suggested that you give them something to keep them entertained while they get used the the presence of each other in the same cage - a treat (bugs, seed, some fruit or veggie they like), a dust bath, a pile of hay or grass clippings..
A bigger cage with lots of hiding places might also help, but no matter how you do it, there is no guarantee it'll work.

Back
Top Bottom