1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

male to female ratio???

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Tad, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    is it just pair? will a trio work? or 3 hens and one cock?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

All of the above! After 3 hens,your fertility rate may slightly decrease.Most roos can cover more hens than that, But for fertility sake,
    1/1, 2/1, or 3/1 ratio is best.

3. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    ok, thanks good to know, I was gifted a peacock at Christmas and am looking for some girlfriends for him.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Yep,
    I'd say 1 more though, up to 4 hens per cock is still fine

5. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    I was told that if they are penned only one of the females will breed and lay, is that not true?

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    no, not true

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    My 2yr old peacocks get two peahens, older peacocks 4 to 6 depend on the peacock. Not like chickens, the peahens pick if they want to mate most times. Another trick, make sure the peacock cant see peacocks in the pen next to him. They will spend alot of time trying to fight rather than take care of the peahens. Had a 2 yr old charcoal peacock that took care of 3 peahens last year, had real good fertile too.

I had a blue male at 3yr old that would breed 6 hens, bet he could have took care of more. I saw him breed 3 hens one right after another. Most of the time you want even see peacocks breed the hens.

8. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Oh GOOD! Because I have 2 females that will be of breeding age come Spring, my male will be in his 3rd year. It's gonna be a fun baby peacock season, can't wait. [​IMG]

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Oh yeah, you'll be just fine there.
    I loaded up on them this past year, have 40 now, cant wait til the eggs start dropping, they are already strutting their tails off, I love it!
    Aubrey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by