mews

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
Hello all!

Yesterday I had posted about this duck egg and today will be the same but a new discovery, as I noticed a new appearance of bruising on my ducklings egg (I have not taken it out of the incubator as of yet). The only thing is, it's where the membrane is (the pointy end).

This duckling was active in its egg two nights ago and I noticed it had stopped having activity within the egg yesterday. This is my first time hatching, and I am desperate to know if I should be concerned whether or not I will have to possibly assist.

I have a class I must leave to, but if need be- I will definitely stay if it means helping the little monster within the egg.

If pictures are needed, please let me know, and I will do my best to provide them.

On what day is this egg? The bruising on the pointy end could indicate a malpositioned duckling trying to pip. Many times they can still hatch successfully without assistance, but they need the time for internal and external pips before hatching. Occasionally (I have never needed to do this) assisting by making a very small hole where the newest bruise is is necessary.

On what day is this egg? The bruising on the pointy end could indicate a malpositioned duckling trying to pip. Many times they can still hatch successfully without assistance, but they need the time for internal and external pips before hatching. Occasionally (I have never needed to do this) assisting by making a very small hole where the newest bruise is is necessary.
I'd have to roughly estimate day 27 or maybe even 28. See, I have discovered this egg with many others that my ducks have been hiding. Unfortunately, my chickens had gotten to the others which had me go on a egg hunt for the rest in hopes to keep them safe.

This egg had jolted two nights ago as I was candling it to try keeping track, and it's causing me to worry as I noticed that there is no movement now.

If I were to make this small hole where the bruise is, is there a way you'd suggest? Or maybe heard of a safe way? I wouldn't want to injure the duckling itself, or the membrane if that's the problem.

I haven't noticed an internal pip, as I have been trying to stay away from checking constantly. I have noticed the weird shaping of the inside though, as I candled the egg yesterday to ask for advice. There seems to be an area in the membrane that shows the light coming through.

Back
Top Bottom