auzzvacha

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Hi

I have a mallard duck egg that internally pipped on match 2nd (3 days ago) I started the incubation on February 2nd (so it was on day 24). I was worried because the air sac was smaller then normal, I think from too high of humidity during the whole incubation, between 55-65, other then the last 4 days before lock down where I ran the incubator dry hoping to increase the air sac last minute (after realizing my mistake with the high humidity). so after waiting 24 hours I made a safety hole on the 3rd and put the humidify at 65. And after an additional 24 hours with no progress I helped open the air sac side of the egg on the 4th. She is chirping and seems to be ‘chewing and yawning’ and as I have read that means she is absorbing the yoke and the blood in the membrane.
However it has been another 28 hours and I think most of the blood is absorbed but I’m worried about the yoke. She internally piped 3 days ago so I think that would be enough time for the yoke to be absorbed with the physiological changes of breathing? but I’m nervous to move too fast.
When would you advice I help further with the hatching? Is yoke absorbed after the blood in the membrane?
attached are photos in order of me opening up the shell 28 hours ago with the last photo a photo of her now in the incubator.
*please be kind, I know not everyone agrees with helping hatches*

Attachments

• 9A5306E4-EDDB-49B6-93AB-71FE285C7C8F.jpeg
    9A5306E4-EDDB-49B6-93AB-71FE285C7C8F.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 21
  • 60B40BCA-622D-45B5-BF21-858ECDF9966E.jpeg
    60B40BCA-622D-45B5-BF21-858ECDF9966E.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 17
  • B27ED061-F3BC-4E59-939F-1EE712B6C05A.jpeg
    B27ED061-F3BC-4E59-939F-1EE712B6C05A.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 7E57AA08-E56A-4243-B7A1-9C19E77A39DA.jpeg
    7E57AA08-E56A-4243-B7A1-9C19E77A39DA.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi

I have a mallard duck egg that internally pipped on match 2nd (3 days ago) I started the incubation on February 2nd (so it was on day 24). I was worried because the air sac was smaller then normal, I think from too high of humidity during the whole incubation, between 55-65, other then the last 4 days before lock down where I ran the incubator dry hoping to increase the air sac last minute (after realizing my mistake with the high humidity). so after waiting 24 hours I made a safety hole on the 3rd and put the humidify at 65. And after an additional 24 hours with no progress I helped open the air sac side of the egg on the 4th. She is chirping and seems to be ‘chewing and yawning’ and as I have read that means she is absorbing the yoke and the blood in the membrane.
However it has been another 28 hours and I think most of the blood is absorbed but I’m worried about the yoke. She internally piped 3 days ago so I think that would be enough time for the yoke to be absorbed with the physiological changes of breathing? but I’m nervous to move too fast.
When would you advice I help further with the hatching? Is yoke absorbed after the blood in the membrane?
attached are photos in order of me opening up the shell 28 hours ago with the last photo a photo of her now in the incubator.
*please be kind, I know not everyone agrees with helping hatches*
Hi! It needs a lot of time yet. Probably 6-8 hours at least. Don't assist any more for now, just let it work on absorbing.
As long as it's yawning, it's not ready.

Thank you for the feedback! I was so nervous to make the wrong decision! But it seems the risk is higher to act then to wait, so I waited :)

woke up every 2 hours to check on her/him and at 5:30 (so about 40 hours after I externally piped for it) it had torn away some of the membrane and had it foot and wing somewhat out... she seemed to be stressed and ‘stuck’ so I removed some more shell and wetted the membrane and after about another hour she pushed out!
Now seems to be a healthy happy duckling walking about with no yoke issues!

Thank you for the feedback! I was so nervous to make the wrong decision! But it seems the risk is higher to act then to wait, so I waited :)

woke up every 2 hours to check on her/him and at 5:30 (so about 40 hours after I externally piped for it) it had torn away some of the membrane and had it foot and wing somewhat out... she seemed to be stressed and ‘stuck’ so I removed some more shell and wetted the membrane and after about another hour she pushed out!
Now seems to be a healthy happy duckling walking about with no yoke issues!
Yay!!!! Thanks for the update! I'm so glad she's doing well.

Back
Top Bottom