Mallard Egg no sign of external pip

somachak

In the Brooder
May 16, 2022
Hi I need some advice , found a abandoned mallard egg in the garden, and decided to incubate it. I have attached a photo of day 25 , the triangle bit in the air sac looked like it pipped so I put it in lockdown , up the humidity / lowered the temperature from 25th night. its 24 hrs (day 26) and no movement no external pip. after reading posts about having to assist if the eggs don't pip externally within 24 hrs of internal pip, I decided to quickly take the egg out of incubator and candle it to see if it was alive. I saw some movement so I have put it back in to the incubator.

Did I diagnose the internal pip correctly from the photo? I have a video of the duck egg candling on day 25 , but for some reason can't upload it.

many thanks for your help
Soma

Attachments

• day25.jpg
    day25.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 35
there were two attempts at breaking the shell , the last one was around 20 hrs ago. the exposed part of the duckling (attached photo) is moving (or breathing) but no cheeping , no movement of the egg. the exposed membrane is isn't as yellow as it looks (camera issue)... does anyone know what is the part that's exposed? I am guessing beak.. but this is my first the hatching so no clue. When should I intervene ? today is day 28 and about 28 hrs since the first external pip
Babies can take 24-48 to zip after external pip
The fact baby has made a second hole I would give it more time
It may not be fully absorbed and that’s why it’s taking its time
Not all ducklings peep I have had both very quiet and very loud
I also don’t often see the egg moving while they are absorbing the yolk and resting
You may see it wiggling again as it’s starting to zip
Is baby making chewing and yawning motions with the beak
That’s what you see at the hole
You may also see hairline cracks not breaks as baby hits the shell

I couldn’t see one or I failed to identify one . The moment I peeled out the outer membrane near the pip , a beak came gushing out , so dark inside , I am a bit scared to inspect further . If nothing develops for another 10 hrs am I ok to intervene?

Back
Top Bottom