Mallard flew away

Accidentally Ducked

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
I have four hand raised mallards, two males and two females. They are six months old. Yesterday, the gate to their duck pen was left open and they took off. One of the males circled around and came back. The other three did not. We went looking all over for them. I thought they would stay together, but they did not. One female was found in a pond about 1/8 mile away, and one was found on a street also about an 1/8 mile away in another direction. We cannot find the male. We have looked in all ponds and streams in 1/8-1/2 mile in the direction they flew. What is the likelihood that the male will come back? He was at the bottom of the pecking order and picked on a little bit by the females. We love him and are devastated that he is gone.

Welcome to posting at BYC. Is there any possibility of separating one of the hens from the others so that she starts vocalizing? If he can hear her that may cause him to return.
Yes, I think we can do that. I’m not sure if either of our hens will vocalize if she is left alone, but we will try tomorrow. Our male was picked on by the hens. Will this matter? Would he want to come back to a situation where he is “bottom duck”?

Is there anything specific you use to call them? I call my chickens and ducks for treats by shaking the bag and calling, "chick, chick chick". Domestic ducks associate you with food and shelter most likely, so theres a good chance he will want to come back, maybe he just got adventurous and wanted to go find a bigger wear source.
I think its a good idea to separate a female, that will help him find his way home when he realizes the wild isn't nearly as easy as he had it back home.
Try searching a bit farther out tomorrow maybe, use a call name if you have one.
Good luck finding him! I really hope he comes home.
Ps. noticed you said you have a 2:2 ratio of males and females. When they're young its okay, but when they get older, you'll have over-mating issues. You want a 1:4 ratio at least per drake. More if you have multiple some you can get some competition, but 2:8 is usually a good ratio for drakes and hens.

Is there anything specific you use to call them? I call my chickens and ducks for treats by shaking the bag and calling, "chick, chick chick". Domestic ducks associate you with food and shelter most likely, so theres a good chance he will want to come back, maybe he just got adventurous and wanted to go find a bigger wear source.
I think its a good idea to separate a female, that will help him find his way home when he realizes the wild isn't nearly as easy as he had it back home.
Try searching a bit farther out tomorrow maybe, use a call name if you have one.
Good luck finding him! I really hope he comes home.
Ps. noticed you said you have a 2:2 ratio of males and females. When they're young its okay, but when they get older, you'll have over-mating issues. You want a 1:4 ratio at least per drake. More if you have multiple some you can get some competition, but 2:8 is usually a good ratio for drakes and hens.
Those are some really good ideas. We have walked over 10 miles the last two days looking for him. We have called out his name and said “treats”, but he was never big on treats. I think I will take a food container next time and shake it.

Regarding the male to female ratio, in the last two weeks I have noticed some really aggressive behaviors by the females. We didn’t choose to have this ratio, but I definitely need to figure something out with them soon. Should I try to separate them female with female and male with male, or female and male each?

Regarding the male to female ratio, in the last two weeks I have noticed some really aggressive behaviors by the females. We didn’t choose to have this ratio, but I definitely need to figure something out with them soon. Should I try to separate them female with female and male with male, or female and male each?
I get it, getting the correct ration can be difficult. I have had the same issues in the past.
I separate my flock in the summer during mating season. My hens don't seem to mind, but the drakes seem pretty bummed. They stood at the fence most of the time, I could tell by the water that they were swimming, ;) but I didn't see them in the pool much.
That just my ducks though. I've heard of others having no issues separating the flock.

If it doesn't work for you, or you ducks seem unhappy with the separation, you could always rehome the females and keep an all drake flock. Drakes will be just fine together without hens, and you could save some lives. :) Hens are much easier to rehome than drakes, hence rehoming them instead of the drakes.
If eggs are important to you than his wont work, or if your attached to your females. But having only drakes also keeps you from having to worry about reproductive issues, etc. Just a thought.

I'm so sorry. Do you still have wild Mallards in your lakes and ponds maybe he has joined up with them?
We googled all nearby ponds and lakes and went looking there. One nearby lake has a flock of about 30 mallards, but I don’t think he was there. I saw a smaller flock on a private property lake, but they swam away fast and I really couldn’t go much further to investigate. I’m so afraid because it’s duck hunting season and I can hear gunshots every so often. I have put up over 30 flyers in hopes that somebody might see him and call me. It’s been 5 days. I don’t think he’s coming back. 😢

Back
Top Bottom