mallard losing color

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bigbird, Nov 15, 2016.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    My mallard hen is losing color in her beak. She is a cross with a Cayuga, and is about 8 years old. Her beak has always been black, but recently the tip has been losing color. Is this something that happens with age, or should I be worried? She is eating, drinking, and appears to be normal in every other way.

2. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I feel like as my mallards have aged, they have gotten a bit less colorful, and I have had the same question. Have you been deworming her? I am trying to determine if color loss might be due to a buildup of parasites as mine have never been dewormed and are 6.5 years old. I am actually getting some feed dewormer in the mail today so I can start testing that out! I will let you know if that seems to help!

1 person likes this.
  3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    6.5 and 8 are pretty dang old. I wouldn't be surprised if they are losing colour coz of age.

1 person likes this.
  4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

She sounds like she is just ageing and very gracefully might I add !

Sorry just a pet peeve of mine she isn't a mallard if she has been mixed with something.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  5. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Correct! I should have said "mutt"! [​IMG]

6. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Hmmm, maybe this experiment will not work. They are in a normal color change at the moment, and although they are looking better, it may very well be the change of season :/
    How is she looking now? Any bettter?

7. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    No, same discoloration in the beak. I'm out of town, but will take a picture on Monday when I get back. I'm also going to deworm her on Monday too. I'll give your experiment a try too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by