MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

to claim that a bird is something and to sell them or promote them under the false name when they are mixed breed is the illegal part.

also i find it really annoying because i raise black mallards 100 % mallard blood no other type of ducks mixed into them.  and then i see people who claim to have the same thing i ask about bloodline and they say call duck and then i say that they need to change their advertising because they are selling birds under the wrong name. 

Buffgooseguy, i never heard of a black mallard before you claimed you had one, and according to the photo she isnt racy enough to be pure strain wild mallard type, her bill isn't long enough. In addition to raising mallards for 50 years, I'v also been a duck hunter on the Pacific Flyway for 50 years and have shot, cleaned and ate hundreds of wild mallards, i know what they look like.

Whoah Buffgooseguy! You are way out of line. A gray call is just a dwarf mallard, breed them to a bigger duck and you get a bigger mallard. Metzer farm flying mallard's are not purebred wild strain to begin with. Wild mallards lay maybe 16 eggs a year tops. Metzer Farm mallard lay year round, and their color os off. Pure strain wild type mallards have a single eye stripe and these Metzer Farm mallards have more akin to rouen eye stripe, certainly not pure strain Mallard. And there is certainly nothing illegal about me crossing a gray (dwarf mallard) call drake on Metzer Farm flying mallard hens and getting racy little mallards. You owe me an apology. I'v been raising ducks for 50 years, since I was 9 years old, and you must be some wet behind the ears young-un.

Most domestic ducks.....as I'm sure you know, have Mallard in them. Domestic ducks are all Mallard derivitives other than Muscovys.

Why didn't you use East Indies for the cross? I crossed Calls to Mallards for flying birds to train falcons and they came out looking like Calls or sometimes Mallards. They can fly, but not that great. The falconers wanted a small flying bird that wasn't as strong as a real Mallard. Real wild Mallards can beat up a young falcon, so they wanted something that wasn't too strong.

It is actually kind of hard to find real Mallards now.

Here is an Indie

Mallard

Walt

Buffgooseguy, i never heard of a black mallard before you claimed you had one, and according to the photo she isnt racy enough to be pure strain wild mallard type, her bill isn't long enough. In addition to raising mallards for 50 years, I'v also been a duck hunter on the Pacific Flyway for 50 years and have shot, cleaned and ate hundreds of wild mallards, i know what they look like.
but mallards wild or domesticated can have different genes right? i mean its rare, like how an apricot wood duck could come from two regular parents. Mallards exhibit more than one color mutations right? so whose to say it isn't a black mallard? in all relativity color mutations happen all the time and we can't prove that this duck is mixed bred bc we haven't seen the relative size of the bill in person and by the looks of it the duck looks as big as just like a female mallard just black. Maybe if we were to see the duck in person we could see faint wild markings on her? so in response to you just being a hunter doesn't mean you have seen everything. and you can't prove Buff-goose-guy wrong on his ducks if he has the papers that says that she is a pure black mallard then we can't prove him wrong.

Last edited:
Most domestic ducks.....as I'm sure you know, have Mallard in them. Domestic ducks are all Mallard derivitives other than Muscovys. Why didn't you use East Indies for the cross? I crossed Calls to Mallards for flying birds to train falcons and they came out looking like Calls or sometimes Mallards. They can fly, but not that great. The falconers wanted a small flying bird that wasn't as strong as a real Mallard. Real wild Mallards can beat up a young falcon, so they wanted something that wasn't too strong. It is actually kind of hard to find real Mallards now. Here is an Indie Mallard Walt
Walt LOL, i didn't think to use a Black East Indie because i don't have any! Walt, saw you at the Red Bluff CA show last year, was thrilled! I think You and i are on the same page, those wild mallards are in a class of their own. I remember as a youngster out duck hunting, most mallards we shot had orange feet, but sometimes they had pink feet, there are many different strains of wild mallard! Sometimes the hens are very light colored with a mostly white breast and sometimes they are very dark with a penciled underside, but one thing they always have in common is a single eye stripe. I remember when out duck hunting when flights of Northern Mallards would drop out of the sky by the 10's of thousands, oh what sight! Those days are gone. .

Quote: if its a dwarf mallard then its not a call duck.
and eyes striped dont matter my line come from the the 1980s from wild mallards and ive had mallards with plenty of line to one one ling on there face. no there is nothing wrong with crossing them but you cannot claim to have a mallard of it is a call duck bred with a mallard,

Quote: look i have the genetic test to prove i have balck mallards and yes ,oldie, they are pure bred mallards for your information that certainly shows what you know claiming to be so wise. when i have the genetic tests to prove my birds. also its called show qaulity show quality mallards are not supposed to be super skinny i raise her on a show mans diet so of course she not going to be racy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom