Mallard X Indian Runners???

vagrantboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
I have a Mallard Drake who has been "gettin it on" with my 2 Indian runner hens ( and some of my chicken hens as well)

my question is, will the eggs be fertile, and will the chicks be OK????

And also is this common?

I tried to search the forums here, but it is soooo busy I had a hard time finding answers.

thank you all so much

IMG_3007.jpg

Almost all domestic ducks will breed together, you have a rouen drake, and yes he will produce fertile eggs with your girls, and yes domestic breeds mixing is very common.

EDIT: He is too big to be a Mallard - J3172's right, he's most likely a Rouen. My Mallard drakes are much smaller than my Runners, and your drake, vagrantboy, looks downright hefty, just like a Rouen.

Well, your Rouen/Runner eggs should be fertile, and, assuming that they're incubated correctly, they should be healthy, cute little birds!

Your drake isn't going to fertilize the chicken eggs though!
lol.png

Last edited by a moderator:
well......shows ya how much i know....this whole time I thunked he was a mallard.

that's why I need you guys!

thank you for the 411 and advice.

He is a big heavy boy and the runners are light weights. Becareful that he does not accidently kill them while mating with them.
Sharon

Quote:
That grey drake does not qualify as either a Rouen or Mallard according to the APA Standard for the breeds.

Quote:
That grey drake does not qualify as either a Rouen or Mallard according to the APA Standard for the breeds.

Yea but if you get a hatchery quality leghorn its still a leghorn
duc.gif
old.gif

Quote:
Yea, even though he is not breeder quality hes still a rouen! Your babes will be cute!

BTW: im collecting eggs tomorrow so my bator isnt lonely!

Back
Top Bottom