Mallards anyone?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...iJH-OXiALH64G4DA&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAA&dur=41

Scroll down you'll come to white mallards.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I would even consider releasing these at a lake pond or river, if I thought they had exceptional chance of survival etc....but even rehoming them to a good home would be an option. I was thinking if all went well that the mallard drake would mate with some of my bigger ducks. They seem to want a mate! lol. I have jumbo pekins too, but are too big and try to double team the girls so they have their own pen and pond and run. I tried letting one pekin out with the girls but they are very bonded to each other.

darn link didn't work for me. i will try again
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/Ducks/BRKMallards.html

Try this one (Thanks Miss Lydia for the back up
big_smile.png
)
I would even consider releasing these at a lake pond or river, if I thought they had exceptional chance of survival etc....but even rehoming them to a good home would be an option. I was thinking if all went well that the mallard drake would mate with some of my bigger ducks. They seem to want a mate! lol. I have jumbo pekins too, but are too big and try to double team the girls so they have their own pen and pond and run. I tried letting one pekin out with the girls but they are very bonded to each other.

I bet they would have some really cute babies. Is it possible for a mallard to mount a pekin? Is he big enough to reach?

good question! lol. thats what i was wondering too. well, not mounting the pekins (I only have boy jumbo pekins) but will the small mallard drake do ok with my medium hens. welsh harlequins are my smaller hens and I have blue swedish and buff hens which aren't real small either. I was counting on the getting aquainted part going rather easily...but a couple attempts of introducing the drake with a hen or two has ended up with the hen wrestling the heck out of the poor fella. He's not too happy about it.

Oh, don't worry. He can mate your girls. Acorn managed to mate with my pekin girl just fine, and all the smaller girls too.

And the white mallards are neat! I never even knew there was such a thing. Melissamerry, how did you end up with your guys?

Oh, don't worry. He can mate your girls. Acorn managed to mate with my pekin girl just fine, and all the smaller girls too.

And the white mallards are neat! I never even knew there was such a thing. Melissamerry, how did you end up with your guys?

I would love to see a cross between a mallard and Pekin. I love seeing those mix breeds.

It's kind of a silly story. I'm away at college at the moment and I went home to visit my family. My younger sister has three silkie chickens and I took her to the feed store to buy more scratch. My bf and I had always joked about getting a duck because our apartment only allows birds and we thought we'd be smart and get a duck, just to be silly.

Well on the drive to the feed store, my sis tells me they have ducklings sometimes and I made up my mind to buy one. I was extremely disappointed when we got there and they only had chicks. I did a quick Craigslist search and a man in my area had three 2 week old Pekin ducklings. I called him up and he said he just dropped them off at the feed store. So I ran back inside and boom! Three ducklings appeared in the chick box.

Luckily I googled a wee bit on ducks and learned that I needed more than one so that it wouldn't be lonely. I couldn't take just 2 ducks and leave the third lonely, so I paid the man his 6 bucks and took me home 3 fluffy ducks.

This experienced has definitely opened my eyes up to so much.

Not really. Just observing behavior. My girl ducks are hilariously feisty when they walk past the mallards pen. Not sure how this is going to work out. lol. Going to think on it a while longer. Not sure how I want to go about it just yet. I do know that I don't want to chase a duck around in a bunch of sticker bushes again!

Back
Top Bottom