Mallards or calls?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I have always called these three my mallards, but their faces are SO tiny and my girl is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loud.....I am talking LOUD! She sounds like she is laughing. Anyway......can calls be colored like mallards? What do you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I always thought I had caused my one boy to break his wing....everytime I would try to get them from their indoor pen to their outdoor pen and vice versa....they acted like I was trying to kill them. I just assumed I had made him break it, but I am pretty sure it is angel wing. Very weird....had no idea.

2. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    My grey calls look like them .Calls are very small and that would be one way to tell.Both of my grey calls have blue in their wings also.
    I am not a duck expert but thought I would answer the best I could [​IMG]

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I have no idea...

Where did you get them?

4. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    I got them from neighbors down the street......I just assumed they were mallards. They now have a TON of white ones....and I am pretty sure they are calls. I am not sure where they got them to begin with, but there are sooo many of them in this neighborhood. I started wondering if they were calls once I got my little call/mallard mix, and because my female is SO tiny--her beak and face are just teeny--I wondered if maybe they were calls. So, calls can be colored like mallards? Didn't know that.

5. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Yes calls can look like mallards and I would say if the people also have white ones the same size with small sweet faces they are calls.They don't have to be mixed to look like mallards the color for the calls is grey.There are alot of different colors for the calls .I just love the little guys
    Karen

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I think they're grey calls since Mallards have longer, more slender bills and a leaner body type in general, while calls have more of a chubby look.

7. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Those look like calls to me! :)

Emily

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They sure are cute bayyjayy, I saw calls like that when i went to pick up Opies girls, but Their bills don't look as short and rounded as the ones i saw.

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Those are calls. I had a pair and they looked just like yours only differnt colors. Nice birds bayyjayy.

10. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks, Miss Lydia....I have a soft spot for them since they were my first ones I got. I absolutely love the noise the girl makes....I swear someone out there is a jokester, because she laughs many, many times a day. Kind of gives you a complex when you walk out and they laugh at you....always checking to see if something is stuck to the back of me! [​IMG]

I will have to go down and take a picture of the white ones at the end of the street. There are sooo many. They started out with 4 and then a couple of years ago they ended up taking a large number (either over 20 or over 30) to the bird refuge. They hide their nests so well that they can't find them to take the eggs. Next thing you know, here comes a mom with another 10 babies, give or take a few. That is how I got my first three....they went camping and came home to six new babies.

I really do think they are calls, too, so I appreciate all the replies. I love this forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by