Malnourished ducks won't gain weight

duckgreek

Hatching
Feb 4, 2023
Hello,

I rescued several malnourished ducks from an overpopulated park about two months ago, where you could absolutely feel a sharp keel on the breast of every individual - many die there on a yearly basis. Since then, I have been giving them unlimited access to high protein crumble feed (27%), supplemented by large amounts of corn, millet, etc. and they have not gained any weight whatsoever since acquiring them. It's bizarre. They also just don't seem to eat a whole lot in general - I've heard that an adult duck is supposed to eat 4-6 oz of feed a day and these seem to be eating about half that. They have constant access to fresh water. What could be going on?

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited:
Hello,

I rescued several malnourished ducks from an overpopulated park about two months ago, where you could absolutely feel a sharp keel on the breast of every individual - many die there on a yearly basis. Since then, I have been giving them unlimited access to high protein crumble feed, supplemented by large amounts of corn, millet, etc. and they have not gained any weight whatsoever since acquiring them. It's bizarre. They also just don't seem to eat a whole lot in general - I've heard that an adult duck is supposed to eat 4-6 oz of feed a day and these seem to be eating about half that. They have constant access to fresh water. What could be going on?

Thanks,
Greg
Parasites? Have you wormed them yet?

No I haven't! I didn't even consider that. What would you recommend as a good dewormer?

Regarding the corn, I can remove it, but they are not putting on any fat either! Nothing. I also fed them only straight high protein food for a month and a half before incoporating any corn into the diet. That was just a recent attempt to try something different to see if it helped. Crumble they have constant access to is 27% protein.

They are mixed breeds. All mallard breeds. Pekins and Rouen's primarily.

No I haven't! I didn't even consider that. What would you recommend as a good dewormer?

Regarding the corn, I can remove it, but they are not putting on any fat either! Nothing. Crumble they have constant access to is 27% protein.
Fat is stored internally in birds, around the organs, though ducks usually have a good amount under their rumps and on their keels to help them float.

Regarding the corn, I can remove it, but they are not putting on any fat either! Nothing. I also fed them only straight high protein food for a month and a half before incoporating any corn into the diet. That was just a recent attempt to try something different to see if it helped. Crumble they have constant access to is 27% protein.
Safeguard is a good one. I use the horse paste for all of my animals.

For ducks, I believe it's 0.23 mL per lb daily for 5 days in a row.

Many thanks everyone this is very helpful! Nuthatched, I am very familiar with duck anatomy/fat storage etc. - I've processed many ducks for food (mostly wild, I do a lot of hunting) so I know what you mean. A healthy duck will have QUITE a bit more fat than a comparable chicken, usually at least a little around the entire body as well as internally. These birds are very, very lean. They seem to be sort of alright now on muscle mass but there is still no fat buildup. Maybe it just takes a really, really long time to come back from that state of starvation? Anyone else have similar experiences bringing back starving birds?

It sounds like deworming may be the trick!

HollowofWisps, as I said, their feed is 27% protein.

Back
Top Bottom