Mama has 6 bitties-Do I need to help her?

bwebb7

Songster
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Brooksville, Fl
For a special birthday surprize-my chickens eggs' hatched a day early! So my birthday is their birthday too-yayy!

My question is; do I need to do anything special for mama and babies? Since mama is with them do I need a brooder? Do I need to dip their beaks?
I am very eggcited and nervous too.

Quote:
Mama should take care of them all by herself (the beauty of having a broody hatch them
big_smile.png
)

She'll teach them to eat and drink - although you might want to put some chick feed on the floor or in a very shallow pan so she can get them to the food. Ditto with a water dish.

She usually keeps them in the nest for a few days before taking them on their first excursion. Chicks that are brooded by Mama are usually a lot more hardy and tough. And it is SO cute to watch Mama take them all over and hear her grumbling to them.

Continue to make sure she has a safe quiet place with clean bedding to brood her babies. Make sure plenty of water and starter crumbles is available - she can eat it too. You might even give her a little canned corn, yogurt and meat scraps to get her back in tip top shape. She will take care of the rest.

Quote:
check them as often as you can. Never know when the poop can back up.... and if it does it will kill them..
hit.gif

thats how i lost mine. i use a warm wash cloth on my current baby chicks and they dont seem to mind or chirp while i do it. Probably feel good on their butts haha

Back
Top Bottom