Mama has 6 bitties-Do I need to help her?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bwebb7, Mar 1, 2009.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    For a special birthday surprize-my chickens eggs' hatched a day early! So my birthday is their birthday too-yayy!

My question is; do I need to do anything special for mama and babies? Since mama is with them do I need a brooder? Do I need to dip their beaks?
    I am very eggcited and nervous too.

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Mama should take care of them all by herself (the beauty of having a broody hatch them [​IMG] )

She'll teach them to eat and drink - although you might want to put some chick feed on the floor or in a very shallow pan so she can get them to the food. Ditto with a water dish.

She usually keeps them in the nest for a few days before taking them on their first excursion. Chicks that are brooded by Mama are usually a lot more hardy and tough. And it is SO cute to watch Mama take them all over and hear her grumbling to them.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Continue to make sure she has a safe quiet place with clean bedding to brood her babies. Make sure plenty of water and starter crumbles is available - she can eat it too. You might even give her a little canned corn, yogurt and meat scraps to get her back in tip top shape. She will take care of the rest.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    make sure you check their butts for pasty butt, thats how i lost mine.... no one warned ahead of time.

5. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Do I need to do that today?
    How do I clean them?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:check them as often as you can. Never know when the poop can back up.... and if it does it will kill them..
    [​IMG]

thats how i lost mine. i use a warm wash cloth on my current baby chicks and they dont seem to mind or chirp while i do it. Probably feel good on their butts haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by