Will mama hen take back her egg?

pennylane13

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 13, 2015
Indiana, Pa
I need advice. My OEGB hen sat on 4 eggs. After 3 of her eggs hatched she stopped sitting on the 4th. So I put the last egg under another broody. One of mama’s eggs hatched on Thursday then the second and third on Friday. The fourth egg is obviously behind in development since it still has not hatched.

The problem for me is that I don’t want the broody to have the late chick for several reasons. Any advice on what I should do? I really want the already mama to raise the late chick too.

I figured it was a gamble, but since her chicks are only 4 and 3 days old I’d have a better chance of her accepting her late hatched baby. And yes, I candled it today and it looks like a 21 day egg. Hence why I’m trying to come up with a plan, fast!!

You could try to give the newly hatched chick to her but keep a close eye out to make sure neither her or the other chicks are going to peck at it. If this does not work then I would think you will have to raise it yourself and let it join the flock later on. Good luck with this situation.

Back
Top Bottom