Mama hatched her first chicks

Colleen1039

Chirping
Apr 29, 2020
I had a broody hen and no rooster so I decided to let her be a mama I asked my friend for some fertilized eggs and here are the results! So excited to see how they grow up. Mama is being great! The father is a Brahama and the 2 mothers I know of is an olive egger and a americana. The other 3 are a mystery.
20210523_131544.jpg
20210525_181554.jpg

I had a broody hen and no rooster so I decided to let her be a mama I asked my friend for some fertilized eggs and here are the results! So excited to see how they grow up. Mama is being great! The father is a Brahama and the 2 mothers I know of is an olive egger and a americana. The other 3 are a mystery.
View attachment 2695316View attachment 2695317
Oh how cute. Congrats on your new chicks😍

6 weeks old now the first 2 pictures we think are roosters the bottom pic from top to bottom is from a white egg tan tan olive blue.
The white we think is half sultan cause she has 5 toes.
Curious to know if anyone can guess too or hen.
20210704_083809.jpg
20210704_083702.jpg
20210704_093254.jpg
20210704_094138.jpg

I found my hen in a storage shed today with two chicks peeping and healthy so far!! I have a feeling there will be several more, what do I do to make sure they are safe? We have three adult golden retrievers that I’m sure would love to eat those lil things!
Should I put her and her chicks into a confined space or let her do her thing?

I found my hen in a storage shed today with two chicks peeping and healthy so far!! I have a feeling there will be several more, what do I do to make sure they are safe? We have three adult golden retrievers that I’m sure would love to eat those lil things!
If you don’t put them in a safe place, you could lose all of them -including the mother hen who will viciously defend her chicks- to your dogs. The hen needs access to food and water and safe shelter. She will be raising those chicks for weeks.

I moved mama and babys and eggs to a dog crate til they all hatched and then the crate to a sectioned off part of the run during the day and they nested back up in the dog crate at night and I picked up the crate and put the crate in the coop at night. I got the idea from the woman who gave me my fertilized eggs. She used a cat carrier. After about 3-4 weeks they were all together mama started roosting up instead of nesting and the babys roosted up next to her. Now they are all working on pecking order stuff and the babys have a new roost in the coop...they where getting picked on when they tried to roost on the main roost.

Sorry I just saw this post. How are they all doing?

I moved mama and babys and eggs to a dog crate til they all hatched and then the crate to a sectioned off part of the run during the day and they nested back up in the dog crate at night and I picked up the crate and put the crate in the coop at night. I got the idea from the woman who gave me my fertilized eggs. She used a cat carrier. After about 3-4 weeks they were all together mama started roosting up instead of nesting and the babys roosted up next to her. Now they are all working on pecking order stuff and the babys have a new roost in the coop...they where getting picked on when they tried to roost on the main roost.

Sorry I just saw this post. How are they all doing?
Aw thanks! Most are doing very well! I did end up moving them but only cuz a copperhead was eating her baby’s in her nest, a few died along with one yesterday, but there are seven left and they’re all doing great!

Back
Top Bottom