Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Omg... I've lived in the city my whole life. Here I am sitting with Amazon same day delivery and my choice of department stores within walking distance. I feel so spoiled.
(I do have to go 45 mins out of the city to the feed store however... It's my scenic drive) haha

Think this would work for the heating pad to rest on? It’s about 4-5 inches off the ground.. I figure if I drape the heating pad down the sides too it could make a nice cave? Maybe not. I just found it in the basement. It's metal, and then I could put it up on wood blocks when they get too big. ? I don't know :)
666590F9-E85F-4531-918A-1AC02E367CA5.jpeg
I got to thinking that if my Ecoglow is labeled for 20 chicks (maximum i understand) and it's only 12x8, then maybe just the one heating pad will be okay for them. Since it's 12x24? They will be in my basement where it never really gets below 50 or 60..And once they are about 5 weeks old I'm going to move them into my horse stall down in our pole barn.

It could work but I'd be concerned that it is too high to start. The chicks need to be able to get into contact with the pad as the heat is provided through contact, not ambient air. MHPs are usually set up at 4" in the front, 2" in the rear to start and raised from there.

You can certainly start with 1 XL pad cave and extend it with the small one you already have after a couple of weeks.

20 chicks in 96 sq inches?? Sounds like the coop makers that say you can put a dozen birds in their tiny coops. 4.8 sq in/chick might work the first few days but they would fast run out of room under the EcoGlow plate. Heck look at the picture of TWO chicks with that EcoGlow on Amazon, no way 20 will fit let alone get proper heat:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HVM56Q/ref=asc_df_B008HVM56Q5337605/

Maybe they are thinking of 20 Button Quail chicks, not chicken chicks.

@bruceha2000 I was just thinking about that last night. They most I have done with my Ecoglow is 12, and they all did fine. After MAYBE 2 weeks, like 10 of the 12 slept on top of the Ecoglow and not under it. And that was in November OUTSIDE in my barn...so maybe they do alright. It just may not be ideal lol

Ok so I have a temp question. I have the xpressheat and i set it on 6. I ended up with 12 babies and have the 12×24 3" in front 2" in back. They can get out all 4 sides and are already able to climb on top. The started hatching Friday evening and the last one hatched this morning. About 66 total hatching hours.

Most of them spend more time playing on top and outside the pad. And the littlest sleep under the front. My gut says they are too warm. Should I turn it down to 5 or would they get too cold? The oldest is literally 3 days old right now.

Oh and can holding them too much hurt them? I try and spend 20 minutes every couple hours with them. Sometimes they just explore around me and sometimes they hop in my lap to snuggle.

Ok so I have a temp question. I have the xpressheat and i set it on 6. I ended up with 12 babies and have the 12×24 3" in front 2" in back. They can get out all 4 sides and are already able to climb on top. The started hatching Friday evening and the last one hatched this morning. About 66 total hatching hours.

Most of them spend more time playing on top and outside the pad. And the littlest sleep under the front. My gut says they are too warm. Should I turn it down to 5 or would they get too cold? The oldest is literally 3 days old right now.
Turn the temp down until they start to squeek(distress cheeping)...or maybe raise the pad a bit.

Oh and can holding them too much hurt them? I try and spend 20 minutes every couple hours with them. Sometimes they just explore around me and sometimes they hop in my lap to snuggle.
Probably not. I'd keep it to a 2-3 times a day tho.

Back
Top Bottom