Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Ok I turned it down to 5. I don't dare raise the elevation yet because only the first ones can't raise to full standing under the front. The last one is still just sleepy. When they are all up playing I will probably raise it a bit.

It is a learning process the first time through but one that isn't too hard to figure out. As long as the smallest can get their backs up against the pad somewhere in the cave, things are good.

Depending on the ambient temp in the room where you are brooding them, you might need to lower the temp again but they will show you what you need to do by their behavior.

It is a learning process the first time through but one that isn't too hard to figure out. As long as the smallest can get their backs up against the pad somewhere in the cave, things are good.

Depending on the ambient temp in the room where you are brooding them, you might need to lower the temp again but they will show you what you need to do by their behavior.
They are currently in one of the rooms that with the door closed and vent closed still ends up the warmest room in the house. I'll defiantly have to warm it back up when they move to the porch but Mom still thinks they are cute and stink free. They do go under to sleep at night but most of the day they are on top. Have to keep the door closed because I don't trust the cat even though they are shut inside a dog crate.

As my erstwhile buddies have said, their behavior tells you more than anything. I'd keep an eye on the sleepy one....she may not be as strong as the others and may have an issue that hasn't shown up yet. Turn the pad down, by all means. I only used 6 when they were being brooded outside and the temps were in the 20s out there. Even then it wasn't for too many days. When I did my first batch, I did have the pad on high, and they did fine, but the room they were in was only 69 degrees. After just a couple of days, I turned it down another notch. You've gotten really good advice so I won't muddy up the waters.

You have done a great job already just in your carefully noted observations of your chicks' activities. That's key! Good job!!

As my erstwhile buddies have said, their behavior tells you more than anything. I'd keep an eye on the sleepy one....she may not be as strong as the others and may have an issue that hasn't shown up yet. Turn the pad down, by all means. I only used 6 when they were being brooded outside and the temps were in the 20s out there. Even then it wasn't for too many days. When I did my first batch, I did have the pad on high, and they did fine, but the room they were in was only 69 degrees. After just a couple of days, I turned it down another notch. You've gotten really good advice so I won't muddy up the waters.

You have done a great job already just in your carefully noted observations of your chicks' activities. That's key! Good job!!
The sleepy one was the last to hatch. Only 8 hours old. I have shown her food and water but she is still young. She hatched all on her own about 18 hours after external pip but after the 48 hour hatch period.

New question. I've read in this forum how it helps the babies sleep by not being under a heat lamp. I agree that this is more natural and therefore better. My baby humans can't last all night though. Should I have a dim nightlight near the brooder so they CAN eat at night if they need to? Can chicks go without food overnight? Would real hen get them up to eat or no?
Sorry for all the questions.

I don't know if a hen gets the kids up at night or not but THIS "hen" had the "kids" in the bedroom (so we could shut the 4 cats out). No light in the room, no problems with the "kids". They sleep quietly all night and come out from their cave as they start to see light.

Back
Top Bottom