Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Dues paid!! I don't use anything in the water unless I have sick chicks like the last batch I got (what a nightmare that was!) so I can't advise you, but I do know that even the back of most of those packages say to have fresh clean water also available, so I think to be on the safe side, I'd dilute it or start over.
Last time I bought chicks (a few years ago) they sold me electrolytes, telling me it would help overcome shipping stress. I think I'll go dilute it by pouring out half and putting in plain water. Hopefully I haven't done too much damage...

So I went and got a replacement and bought two BRs just for good measure. :D
You and I can compare our BRs as they grow, mine should arrive Tue or Wed. Not sure how long the MHP will be in use, Anais is sticking to her nest like glue. Doesn't even want BOSS or scratch. Hoping she'll take to being moved to the brooder area tomorrow. Big exciting day tomorrow, cleaning out all the old shavings. That us always fun ;)

Yes, BJ, too much electrolyte can be deadly. IMO, better none at all than too much. I'm a firm fan of PND b/c it DOES NOT HAVE ELECTROLYTES IN IT! You can make your own lytes:

1 qt water
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)(if you have it)
I'm never without PND in my supply kit. Really comes in handy when you have a struggle that is only taking drops of liquid at a time as I'll give a couple drops undiluted.

Yes, BJ, too much electrolyte can be deadly. IMO, better none at all than too much. I'm a firm fan of PND b/c it DOES NOT HAVE ELECTROLYTES IN IT! You can make your own lytes:

1 qt water
2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)(if you have it)
And what do you use if you don't have salt substitute? Heck we hardly even use regular salt.

This is what I use for Sav-A-Chik
Measured out powder in pouch and did the math, then saved it.

upload_2018-4-21_13-57-44.png

IMG_8273.JPG
Hi guys! Trying hard to keep up the reading on this thread ...but it goes so fast! 10 new pages in the past few days!

My meat chicks arrived Wed afternoon. I ordered 25 and got 2 freebies. I was all set up and everyone looked so happy... then found one on Thursday afternoon flattened into the bedding. So sad. (and i checked every 2-3 hours. Thurs at 8 am and 11 am everyone was good. At 2 pm I found him under MHP. )
Chalked it up to "it happens". Then found another one today at 4 pm. Flattened under the MHP again, into the bedding.
There is lots of space in there, and exits on all sides. What's going on? Is this normal for meat chicks? I was surprised by this one today, at 4 days old, they are the same size as the chicks hatched out by my broody hen (2.5 weeks ago!!!)
I will post a few pics. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

My MHP is bungeed to the underside of an oven rack and we have built a little contraption that I can slide into (just like in the oven). there is enough space for them to stand crouched over, and there is a ton of space since usually 1/3 are sleeping on top of it.

Both deaths happened mid day, and not overnight. So weird. ...

Last edited:
there is a ton of space since usually 1/3 are sleeping on top of it.
Might be too hot under there?
Do you have is set at an angle lower in back than front?
Are you sure they can get out on all sides?
Looks kinda tight on sides and back.
I'd try raising it up a titch and pull it away from the back wall another titch.

Meat birds don't need as much heat as layers, or so someone has mentioned on here before. Could be too warm, too flat - as aart said, try raising it up a bit. If it's too low, they could be crowding and trampling under there. I'd also agree to pull it back from the wall a bit so if they do try to get out at the back, there's a place for them to go. I'm sorry you lost some....

Back
Top Bottom