Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

My grandpa was a sharecropper... Those chicks were for feeding the migrant farm hands. Grandma would cook about five at a time for the workers lunch... The hands got so much per what ever they were harvesting and lunch.... Dad had four sisters and they worked the fields along with the workers... He remembers being a toddler and thrown on a bale of cotton with his bottle and being dragged through the cotton fields while they harvested cotton.

deb

1 person likes this.
  2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Hit 100 degrees here today, and although that's the highest it's been it ain't been cool the other days, either. Been in the 90s every day since we got back from South Dakota. The chickens were suffering in this heat. So today when we were in Billings we picked up this personal mister at Home Depot. It worked slick! We set it up just outside the run, aimed in, and despite the word "personal" it cooled a large section of the run very well. At first the chickens freaked out, but it sure didn't take them long to figure out that the area where the mister was aimed felt pretty doggone good! No power required - the hose does the work. It didn't saturate everything, possible because there was just enough wind to disperse the mist, but I could tell a difference almost right away! They went from running from it to running into it! Here's a link to it.

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/2...ill-personal-stand-mister-reviews/reviews.htm

3. Diannastarr

Diannastarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2014
    Bisbee AZ 85603

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yikes...I always dread the summer heat and humidity (it just knocks me out and I have no AC), tho it's been very cool here for the most part this spring.
    Wonders what your ambient humidity is there?
    I assume you ran the mister in the shade?

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yesterday when our temp was 100 the humidity was 10%. It's semi-desert here so we cool our house by using an evaporative cooler, otherwise known as a "swamp cooler". We have to cool by putting humidity into the air, not taking it out like in more humid areas of the country.

Part of our heat issue is that this spring when we did our spruce up and took the winter plastic off the run, Ken decided he was going to put a tarp with a "reflective" side over the run. Um, not so smart. That thing traps heat in here so badly and because it's one gigantic piece I can't roll parts of it up or down. It doesn't go all the way down to the ground, so there's air flow at the bottom of it, but it's not enough. When we had landscape fabric on it last year, air flowed through it just beautifully and it provided nice shade. So after a "discussion" yesterday, we are taking the tarp down and going back to landscape fabric.

It's pretty shady out there, but there is a time span of a couple of hours where there isn't enough. There is one cattle panel width of run that has no tarp - we added the extra length after the tarp was up. That's open area is where they congregate, so I know they are too hot directly under the tarp. Keeping chickens is all about learning lessons, isn't it? The mister is partially in shade.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    the heat has been pretty brutal and relentless since we returned from Mexico. Hope everyone stays cool suppose to be high90's, blech :( . Thank god we are not in the east with all the high humidity, like Blooie we have low humidity typically in Colorado.

I will be adding frozen water bottles to all the bucket waters mid day and adding the frozen gallon jugs in the coop tonight.

Last night I blocked the nest boxes from the littles and put some solar lights in the coop so they could see where the bottom roosts were. Of course they were pretty upset, those brats! Anyway, they all kept going in and out of the coop chirping and carrying on. The adults on the highest roosts were not amused. One brave little thought she would be smart and get up to the top roosts, of which she was swiftly evicted. They finally settled on the ladder up to the high roosts, the perch along the next box row and another roost the same height on the opposite side of the coop. Took them a bit but they got it!

PS - when does a mom typically fledge her chicks? Ours will be 1 month soon. Mom and chicks are separate from flock and I was wondering when she will fledge them. Is it possible she is waiting until she rejoins the flock and roosts with them? I have been waiting for her to fledge the babies and then those babies will be going elsewhere and I have NO plans to integrate them with our flock. They are not big enough to be out free ranging yet so they have been in the run and small coop with mama. Thanks

8. perchie.girl

9. mojavemike1

mojavemike1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have just finished my Mama Cave, made out of a wire dish drying rack that you have on the side of the kitchen sink...got it from the Dollar Market.
    I cut all the side wires except the ones at the front (large opening), bent it down to get the slope, and wired it in place to stop it springing back...taped all the cut wires and bent the dish supports flat.
    Have my heating pad on order from Amazon and the Glad Press 'n Seal for the towel.
    I am incubating right now, and lockdown is 21st, so hopefully my chicks will have a nice warm cave waiting for them instead of the heat lamp.
    Incidentally those 250 amp heater bulbs are expensive to use 24/7...I was shocked when I saw my electric bill[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. perchie.girl

Oh my goodness this is brilliant and inexpensive too and you can fasten the whole thing down on a board haul it all out and hose it off in the sun..... [​IMG]

deb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by