Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I have never had that happen but there was something very similar on another thread. The OP was advised to try giving her a little olive oil or mineral oil. I also need to add that in the end nothing they did made much difference. I'll see if I can relocate that thread for you.

Oh, you guys, I need some help! This tiny girl is trying to eat, but I think now she may be having poo problems. Her vent is becoming swollen and she squats and peeps loudly as she tries to poop, like it hurts, and only a tiny dot of white is deposited.

I know this isn't the right forum for this problem, but Emergencies is just not that helpful. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do for her?

Look up coccidosis

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

deb

Does coccidiosis cause the constipation symptom? I wasn't sure about that point. Had started writing it as a possibility but deleted 'cuz I wasn't sure.

The link I posted someone else mentioned giving olive oil orally and well as, basically an oil enema, through the cloaca to actually disimpact a chick. Who knew? Also ACV and yogurt seem to be recommendations. But so much of it depends on the reason for the trouble.

The ACV in water is recommended as vent gleet can cause sour crop and sour crop can cause vent gleet and the ACV helps with both those things as it's due to fungus/yeast.

But in a chick that young, don't know what may cause that.

Some people report constipation in young chicks due to ingesting pine shavings, paper, etc. Give grit and help the bowels with elimination manually.

Would be very hesitant to give anything with a laxative effect, such as molasses or epsom salts, to such a young chick who has been sick. The electrolyte loss could be fatal and difficult to replace quickly before a demise.

I found that link to the lady who's chick seemed to constipated, but now I'm not sure if the symptoms are as similar as I first thought. Her chick had some neck/crop issues as well. and in fact you were one of the people who was trying to help her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/974046/please-help-new-chick-mom/30

I'm still looking for others. Hang in there, my friend. We're all gonna try to figure this out and help her - and you................

Oh man! In trying to juggle the chicks outside and this sick one indoors, I accidentally killed one of the well chicks! This whole thing is just unraveling! I feel I should just bring in the remaining four inside and stick them in a tote with a heating pad and then I'll at least know where they all are.

I was sliding the tote lid I'd just dried off after cleaning all the poop off under the feed dish and water when a chicks scooted under the lid and I didn't see her and set the heavy feeder on top of her and suffocated her under the tote lid. It was heart breaking to search everywhere,wondering where the chick had disappeared to and then to glance over and see her body trapped under the lid like that. I'm such a giant screwup!

Why does everyone suspect cocci when a new chick gets sick? Where could they get it? My flock doesn't have it. I expect this sick chick just never recovered from shipping stress, and she was less than lively when I first got her Wednesday.

Oh man! In trying to juggle the chicks outside and this sick one indoors, I accidentally killed one of the well chicks! This whole thing is just unraveling! I feel I should just bring in the remaining four inside and stick them in a tote with a heating pad and then I'll at least know where they all are.

I was sliding the tote lid I'd just dried off after cleaning all the poop off under the feed dish and water when a chicks scooted under the lid and I didn't see her and set the heavy feeder on top of her and suffocated her under the tote lid. It was heart breaking to search everywhere,wondering where the chick had disappeared to and then to glance over and see her body trapped under the lid like that. I'm such a giant screwup!

Why does everyone suspect cocci when a new chick gets sick? Where could they get it? My flock doesn't have it. I expect this sick chick just never recovered from shipping stress, and she was less than lively when I first got her Wednesday.
Oh I wish I could give you a hug! Maybe bringing the remaining chicks inside would be a good idea. You've got enough on your plate without feeling guilty too!

No, if I try to change the whole system right now, it's just one more thing that is at risk of going wrong. The remaining four are safe and warm and they know where their food and water are and I need to just concentrate on this sick one. She's in pain whenever she poops, there's no doubt about it. It's not quite the diarrhea like earlier, and she's eating tiny bits in between naps. She wants to be held all the time, though, and I guess that's normal for sick chicks.

Her red, swollen sore, little vent has me worried. But everything I've been reading says it should get better if she pulls through.

Thanks for your kindness and support.

No, if I try to change the whole system right now, it's just one more thing that is at risk of going wrong. The remaining four are safe and warm and they know where their food and water are and I need to just concentrate on this sick one. She's in pain whenever she poops, there's no doubt about it. It's not quite the diarrhea like earlier, and she's eating tiny bits in between naps. She wants to be held all the time, though, and I guess that's normal for sick chicks.

Her red, swollen sore, little vent has me worried. But everything I've been reading says it should get better if she pulls through.

Thanks for your kindness and support.
Maybe a little Preparation H or honey?.....they use that for prolapse to reduce swelling.

..and of course, you know, some are just not formed right from the get go and nothing can change that.

Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom