Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. monkcat

monkcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Azygous, do you think as she is straining and nothing is coming out, because she is constipated now? Or do you think swelling is blocking her vent? Colors? Redness, whitish areas? Pics would be awesome if possible.

You are not a screwup! You are trying to take care of so many things and you are worried about this little chick. You are obviously, a kind, compassionate person who cares about the animals under your care. Do not beat yourself up . Some things are out of your control. If it hadn't been the feeder, it would have been something else. I know you needed to vent, but no negative self-talk. Don't want you to start believing it.

2. monkcat

I'm not sure about with chicks, but suspect it's similar to people. And that I do know about. Many bacteria, good and bad are part of the normal flora. When you are stressed and your immune system is down or if you take antibiotics, any number of things can cause an overgrowth of opportunistic bacteria (or yeast, aka, yeast infection).

If cocci is part of the chicks bacteria or is in their environment, if they are stressed, it can take over and cause infection. I'm guessing that's why everyone suggests it. Sorta like the MRSA bug in people. Many people get regular old staph infections, but everyone now assumes it is the resistant staph because it does happen more often. And it's now a part of peoples normal flora - just waiting for an opening such as a cut to cause an infection which can quickly go septic if immune system is weak.

And also, because cocci has a tangible, possible remedy, and everyone wants to fix the critters. And cocci has gastrointestinal symptoms which this chick seems to have.

So even if your flock doesn't have it, I guess it is possible in any flock. And the shipping stress could be a likely culprit allowing a disease to occur.

That being said, we are not seeing her and you are. So definitely have to go with your gut and what you are seeing.

edited to add - can you collect a fecal smear and take to a local vet in the morning?

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I certainly appreciate the reassuring words. Thank you. I need that.

This sick chick is at least getting stronger. She is full of spunk and determination. She has been pooping regularly all along, so she isn't constipated. And she's been eating tiny bits of boiled egg white. She is strutting around on my keyboard as I type. And low and behold! A poop! A sort of normal brown turd-like poop! And she didn't scream out in pain when she did it!

I think she's arrived at the threshold of survival! Just by virtue of the fact she's acting like she owns me now, I do believe this tiny girl will be alive come morning!

It's up in the air how much sleep she will allow me tonight, though. But I'll report back in the morning. Thanks for explaining the cocci thing. Always new stuff to learn with chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I kept stopping what I was doing and checking back since this all started, dreading and hoping at the same time. It sounds like she is a fighter - I had one like that too, and I'm sure a lot of you remember Scout!

Keep up the fight, my friend!! She'll be so worth it!

5. monkcat

Oh, I'm so glad she's doing better! Whew! Keep us updated! I will be working the next two days but will try to check in if I can. That's usually hard to do. Rarely have time to eat at work!

LOL, glad you didn't mind the microbiology lesson! I try not to be "preachy". But in some ways, my mind is scientific and it transfers over to small critters too. And It's hard for me to not throw it out there in the chance it could help someone.

You're quite welcome. Meant every word.

Hope ya'll sleep well!

6. monkcat

I know what you mean, Blooie! Me too! I'm a sight right now with color in my hair, dripping down my neck. Wouldn't go wash it out until I knew what was going on! So glad everything is better for azygous' chick.

7. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    @azygous I was just curious how your sick chick is doing this am? I am sorry about loosing a chick, it is never easy regardless of why they go. Don't beat yourself up, your doing the best that you can and it is very obvious you care and love your birds. We had a sick girl with our big flock the day after shipment. She seemed as if she was drunk, couldn't even sit up. I hand fed her two crickets and hand watered her, after she took a thirty minute nap and is the friendliest of the flock today. I would have to agree with you, she probably ws just stressed from shipping, etc.

On feeding ACV if the baby has a yeast infection of some sort, I believe the ACV will only make it worse. ACV is a yeast fermenter and feeds the yeast, thus making it worse.

I know one of the treatments for Cocci that is natural is raw garlic.
    You might also ask in the Natural Chicken Keeping thread for other solutions that are all natural, good group of ladies on there and very helpful and knowledgeable.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG]She's still alive, but she has no appetite, won't eat or drink. She's in the back of my neck in my hoody where she crawled after she loudly chirped to be held.

I took this pics this morning. Her vent is a little more swollen and red, and the poop has a slight red drop in it. So, as soon as the feed store opens in an hour, I'll make the long drive just to get her some Corid.

The remaining four are lively, eating, and back inside their cave since it's 42 out there this morning. Now, advice. Should I dose the four healthy ones with Corid, too, when I get back home with it? And does anyone know the dosage for a five-day old chick that is barely as big as an egg?

[​IMG]

9. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Yea, glad she is fighting. If you have any coconut oil you can rub some on her vent, it will be soothing and it has anti fungal/anti-microbial properties. Not sure on the Corid. Good luck and keep us posted of course.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG]This is the little lady. Isn't she beautiful? She's a Cream Legbar, and I've never had those before, so I sure hope she makes it. She just ate a tiny bit, still won't drink, and pooped. No blood in this one. I'll still give the Corid a shot, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by