Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. monkcat

monkcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, azygous, I'm so glad she seems to be doing better. Hoping for a full and swift recovery! Please keep us updated. You're a wonderful chicken mama! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    [​IMG]Here is "azygous" with her babies in their grow-out pen. They have all this space and are utilizing every inch. I really can't imagine how they would handle being stuffed into a brooder again. All thanks to the MHP system.

[​IMG]This is the sick chick, now five-days old, in her infirmary with her own version of MHP. It's a small 15 year old fashioned stay-on-all-the-time pad. Can you tell she's feeling better?

[​IMG]She's making a run for the door. She's busting out! She actually drank water all on her own a minute ago! Maybe the Corid is taking effect, and that means she has a case of cocci. I'm grateful to you guys for the great advice.

1 person likes this.
  3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm smiling, smiling, smiling! She looks soooo good! Nice job, azygous!

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    [​IMG]

5. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    azygous - so glad she is better!

Thanks monkcat and Blooie, I was hoping they were OK. They do seem to kick up a fuss when it gets dusk, all of them huddle in the corner by the MHP and chirp like crazy. I have to flip the towel up where they are and gently guide them under. They quickly quiet down.[​IMG]

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You know, I understand about folks getting off topic in a thread - I am so bad about that. But this is MY thread (teehee) and I figure it this way. If we were all sitting around the kitchen table enjoying coffee or tea together, there's no way we could sit there the entire time and talk about only one subject! Conversation bounces around from topic to topic, and as long as everyone's getting to take part in the yammering, what's the issue? Now, there are threads where going off topic is just not the right thing to do, and those are the threads where you simply behave yourself. But this particular thread is totally informal, totally hands on, and totally friendly, so if we can help each other - on topic or not - that's all good!

1 person likes this.
  7. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I wonder if I'm the only person who only had to put two chicks under MHP one time each and then never had to do it again with any of them.......I put one chick under with the oldest ones, and the rest followed then went in and out on their own. The second batch, added a week afterwards into the same brooder, saw the older ones going in and just followed right along. The third batch, my Buff Brahmas, I moved one chick under then never had to repeat it.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Ok guys, I've been thinking about the towel over the MHP cave. Most of you seem to be covering it with Press n'seal to keep it from getting so nasty. I've tried that, and am not very impressed with the outcome. So, here's my thought: What about using plastic place mats? They would have to be held in place somehow. My choice would be painter's tape. And you'd probably want the little hangy down flap at the front and maybe even at the back of the cave. That could be accomplished by putting the towel UNDER the place mat. Now, if that idea doesn't please, here's plan B. I believe they make plastic covered flannel which is designed to be used for home made diapers. (soakers?) Or, what about taking a towel, and putting contac paper on the top side which would be over the cave, and leaving the rest of the towel (the hangy down parts) naked?

Now, I'm perplexed. My tinies are only 10 days old. There are 22 of them. The temp last night got down into the low 40's, and they chose to sleep beside the HP. This morning, I found that a few were popping in and out, and the rest were putzing around, just as happy as could be. I tried to entice them into the cave last night, but it was a long reach, and the few that I picked up weren't having any of that (getting shoved in the cave.) I even turned it down, thinking that it was too warm for them. But, with there being 22, and them making a solid chick carpet, I'm guessing they weren't too cold. It was plenty warm when I slid my hand under the chick carpet.

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I don't see why either of those ideas wouldn't work, LG. I think next time (Gasp, did I say THAT??) I'm going to forgo the Press'n'Seal completely and just put the whole frame and all into a pillow case that can be taken off to shake off the excess poop. Wasn't that you who posted that? Or am I'm having another senior moment?

10. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    I just used old towels and I actually shook them off the other day, rinsed with the hose and threw in the washer with bleach. They came out just as good as when I put them on MHP. I cloth diapered so a little poop in the washer doesn't bother me. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by