Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. monkcat

monkcat Chillin' With My Peeps

azygous she is beautiful! And I hope she makes it. You are doing all that anyone can.

The feed supply may be able to help with dosages for the birdie. If the others are healthy, I don't know if I would treat. The ONLY reason I say that is from my previous post about cocci. It is likely everywhere, with most all birds. Most are able to build up an immunity to it if they are healthy and have good functioning immune systems. If you use the antibiotic, it can cause an overgrowth of other bacteria, fungi and yeast. I think antibiotics are only needed if there is an imbalance. In the healthy chicks, there is balance or they wouldn't be healthy. If it is wiped out now while their immune system is forming, they won't develop a resistance to it and can be wiped out later. AND antibiotic use will not totally wipe out all bacteria. The ones that are left develop resistance and that's how you get medication resistant bacteria. In the sick chick, it should wipe out enough to help her not be overwhelmed by it. Hope that made sense.

However, IF ANY ONE SYMPTOM should occur in any other chick, I would treat all immediately! There is a fine balance between being colonized with bacteria and being overwhelmed with it. And it can happen quickly in delicate babies of any species with developing or weakened immune systems.

Most of what I'm speaking of comes from my knowledge of humans, microbiology and the disease process. But I believe much of it translates to animals. Some things are the same across the board.

If you have an avian vet you can call, I most definitely would not hesitate!

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    She's really a cutie! I'm hoping her improvement picks up speed! I don't know much about Corid.....seems like since I started this thread there's a lot more that I don't know than I even realized. Feels like I'm always saying, "I don't know." But I know there have been lots of threads on using it, so if you just type Corid Dosages in your search something helpful should pop up.

3. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    OK my girls are 5 days old today and I've noticed they don't go under MHP very much during the day. They nap out in the brooder if they nap at all! They seem to be too busy scratching and pecking. We've been outside yesterday and today and brought in some dirt to dust bathe in and I swear they did that all afternoon! They all go under MHP at night and are spaced throughout and not at the edges so I'm assuming it's still warm enough and not too warm. I will turn it down Monday when they are a week old unless they look too hot.

Is this normal? Or do I have hyper chicks?

4. TheRambler

TheRambler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Corid is 1 tsp per gallon for preventative/mild cases, and 2 tsp per gallon for treatment. You will see lots of other doses around, but I recommend sticking the the above. You can give too little to be effective, but you can't really give too much. Its blocking the absorption of a specific vitamin that the cocci needs to survive and multiply. Giving too much isbt really harmful. Unless tou give straight corid you don't really have to worry about an overdose.

Mixing it with water is the best way, water should be changed daily as corid will break down. You can give orally with a dropper also, but always mix it with water unless you do more research into straight doseage amounts.

5. monkcat

Oh good to know about the corid. So it's not really an antibiotic at all. I'd probably treat them all then.

Azygous, hoping all is well.

6. monkcat

Sounds normal to me. Mine flake out everywhere during the day. It's so warm right now. At night they go under. Sometimes during the day but not often. Mine is set at 1. My chicks are around 2 to 3 weeks old. as long as they are active, I'd think they are good and healthy.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    In case you don't know Corid is a cattle treatment so look in that part of the farm store.

Here's the dosages I saved in case I needed it:\\
    Corid
    The Corid 20% soluable powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days.
    Make it fresh daily, dont add anything to it such as ACV, electrolytes, vitamins etc,
    Must be their sole source of treated water to drink.
    1/2 tsp 4 Qts
    1/4 tsp 2 Qts
    1/8 tsp 1 Qt
    1/16 tsp 1 Pint

1 person likes this.
  8. TheRambler

TheRambler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Oops! I forgot to mention i was refering to the liquid corid. Aart gave you the powder version. The corid liquid is only 9.6%, but has a longer shelf life than the powder once opened

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    What you have are normal chicks! They are behaving exactly as chicks under a hen would. And there's no worry about them being up and active all day long - after all, they slept all night long. a little different than chicks under a lamp who are up 24/7, dozing off only to have still-awake chicks stomping on them.

10. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Update. Got the Corid, and it's a liquid. I tried figuring out the dosage and went with a half a teaspoon for a quart of water. I got the chick to drink some by dribbling it along her beak with an eye dropper. I also moistened the top of her food with it. Then I went out to check on the others and let the big girls out to play. I was gone two hours so I was concerned for the four remaining chicks. They seem to be fine, hanging inside the cave a lot because it's quite cool.

The chick was loudly calling me when I came back inside. I gave her some boiled egg yolk, finely chopped boiled egg white and moistened starter. She stood there and ate it, more than she has been. She pooped, so that proves she's processing food anyway. The vent is still swollen. But maybe since she's made it this far, the Corid will turn this around for her. She just came out from under her heating pad and is eating again. I take that as a good sign.

Blooie, thanks for letting me hitch on your thread for my crisis. I really appreciate the support I've been receiving from you all. It's been a port in the storm, forgive the cliche.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by