Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

2. perchie.girl

a start for a chicken first aid kit

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...dy-and-essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them

Things I do that are different

Plain old white sugar is an excellent blood stopper.

The blue coat they show is a spray. I use the kind with a dauber. The spray will be more antiseptic.... but the dauber has more control of what gets blue.

Vet Wraps are cheaper at the feed store. I keep at least four or five on hand because they have SOOOOO many uses.

I rarely use peroxide... It dries the wound out.

deb

1 person likes this.
  3. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    I have a heating system for a smaller pond. We have used it in our pop-up pool in the past. But cat fish may be the way to go since we do get snow here.

In the mountains we got into the 90s at the peak of summer. Here in the foothills we get triple digits for short periods.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    White sugar? Never heard that one......I use corn starch, found it worked better than styptic when I had an 'emergency'(ran out of styptic when trimming dogs nails).

I bought blue coat spray and just spray some into take out condiment cup then daub with Qtip out of that......
    ....use a Qtips to apply ointments too, without touching ointment tube tip.

5. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Honey is a good antibacterial for minor wounds.

I keep lots of the neosporin no-pain wound wash for use on our animals. I don't want to stress them out any more than I have to.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Then I am glad I haven't used it on them. I know our vet is okay with me using it on the dogs and cats. And of course we have used it on Roo. She still whines though. Kids. I don't think I'll figure them out.

So far I have only used saline wound wash and distilled water on our chickens. And EMT gel when 'Mama' cut her comb and was bleeding a bit. (EMT gel is a collagen wound ointment safe for birds and even reptiles)

8. perchie.girl

I learned about sugar when my son fell while gripping a bottle in his teeth.... came up and it looked like all his teeth were gone and his mouth was a bloody mess.... And of course he was screaming.

When I called the doc His back up doc answered the phone... she was from India. What a lovely lady... she calmed me aksed if his teeth were really gone... whew nope... then she said hed probably torn the bit of skin under his lip up close to his nose...

then she told me to pack it with white sugar... OMG instant blood stopping... and a kid who loves sugar was wanting more...

so after that I used sugar for any blood stoppage...

White sugar was an old folk remedy and is still considered the second best to honey as an antibacterial.

deb

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I believe if you are washing out an eye, you want a saline solution, not plain or distilled water.

10. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    I used the distilled to clean the blood off 'Mama's' face when she cut her comb. Frou Frou has only had saline eye wash used on her eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by