Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    @Azygous sorry Sunny didn't make it.

2. monkcat

monkcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, azygous, I'm so sorry about Sonny. You did so much more than most people could or would have. If she was meant to make it, you would have made that happen for her. Keeping you in my thoughts.

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I so appreciate the condolences. Thank you. this has turned out to be more than just the gonzo thread I had predicted back in its inception. It's now become a micro-community.

It feels cozy to come here.

2 people like this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Put the whole thing in a pillow case, use lots of painter's tape, and you'll be good to go. No way for the little trouble makers to get caught. i think I'll stop at Salvation Army and look for some racks. Would love to flatten out my lg. pad to give more cuddle room underneath.... even though the little buggers don't use it at night, they still go under for a quick warm up mid-afternoon when the sun starts to cool.

5. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop

There are some good threads with positive people this is one of them, another of my favorites is the Quotes board. That thread is great and full of support. Glad you feel cozy here, ditto!

I Ike the wire rack but will need to raise it up some so they can get under it better. Maybe some bricks.....

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    And of all the nice things said about this thread, that one means the most. Thank you. I am so glad that you are here along with all of the other nice people who pop in every day. And I'm so grateful that this idea was embraced the way it was, with tweaks and changes and modifications. Some worked, some didn't. But in the end the chicks benefited the most from the willingness of owners to say, "There has to be a better way, and this might just be it", and then step away from the heat lamp. You are all awesome!

7. TheRambler

TheRambler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    A quick update- the chick worm frenzy!

[​IMG]

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Oh that is hilarious.... Its like chicken foot ball.

deb

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay, Rambler= - that was past funny and all the way to hilarious! But give 'em some leftover spaghetti and you get to watch them add tug-of-war the keep-away game!

10. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Since you are all so kind and caring I am going to ask this here.

I have a 2 week old salmon faverolles chick in the brooder that has an irritated eye. The skin around the eye is a little swollen but not discolored. The eye is watering but the discharge is clear. I contacted the hatchery and I was already doing everything they suggested for her. I have been giving her vitamins, probiotics and electrolytes. I keep the eye clean often through out the day. She is eating and drinking and is one of the more feathered out of the 5 chicks. She is active and seems fine except the weepy eye. She is the feisty chick of the bunch.

The one thing suggested that I am not doing was antibiotic ointment for the eye. Since most veterinarian medications typically found at feed stores are restricted here in California I had to have my vet order it for me. It has not arrived yet.

I had this same issue when I was child and we first moved here to California. Doctors couldn't figure it out. It took years to clear up as it was allergies. I still get the weepy eye when I visit out of state for extended periods then come back to California. I take a pill and it clears up.

What are your thoughts? Should I go ahead and give her the ointment when it arrives or is she just going through allergies.

Sorry for another thread derailment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by