Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Opthalmic ointment isnt regulated... for horses. I have bought it on several occasions at the feed store. Here in San Diego.

but if you cant find it you can get it here. Not to worry if you need a prescription they will ask for it.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html?gas=opthalmic ointment

I believe this is the one I used for my horse.

[​IMG]

Here is the link for the page for the above medication

I keyed in the words Opthalmic ointment for horses... the info for the medication says its good for all livestock.

You may also try simply irrigating with Sterilized Saline as well... could have gotten something in there

Good luck
    deb

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, Grimm, I have no idea. Will she let you rinse it with some distilled water? Might take one person to hold the chick with one hand and keep the eye open with the other while you pour a gentle stream of water over it. Could be allergies, could be something as simple as a tiny bit of bedding in there. I thought I read somewhere where someone else had a similar problem but was able to take the bird to an avian vet, who found a small pin feather (sorta like the chicken equivilant to eyelashes) growing down and inward instead of up and out. That's another possibility, although remote and probably hard to spot without a magnifying glass. There are human made eye allergy drops at any drugstore - could you try that until the antibiotic ointment arrives? I'm grasping at straws here.....

3. perchie.girl

Some where around here is a check list for a first aid kit for chickens. I keep one for the horse so I only had to add a few things...

I will see if I can find it.

It is something every chicken owner or animal owner should have on hand... Most of it can be bought at the 99 cent store, The feed store will have some other stuff... NONE will require a vet to supplement.

Me I keep on hand Banamine... for horsie tummy aches... I am sixty miles away from the nearest vet and a bout of colic will kill a horse so my vet allowed me to buy some off his truck supplies.

If you have livestock like horses sheep goats .... llamas... you will have a regular vet that can make house calls. Most of them will tend your dogs and cats for injections and ongoing meds like prednazone (for allergies) house call alone will have a fee attached.... so Line your critters up when you have to have a regular horse vet visit...

But having a dedicated first aid kit is an awesome thing to keep in the feed room of the coop... or someplace safe in the house...

deb

4. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    This is what my vet ordered for me. He says it is fine for poultry and I can even use it on the dogs and cats if need be. He only charged me his cost for 2 tubes. Less than $15 total. He is a really kind vet. When my older dog was spayed he noticed she had a rash on her belly. He gave us medication for it at no charge. He even called to check on her a week later.

What feed store in San Diego? I live in the Inland Empire so that is not too terribly far. Since I don't have a car any trips out of town are on the weekends only when my husband is home.

5. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    Thank you! I never thought it could be a pin feather. I did notice when she first arrived some of her down was stuck in her eye so I cleaned it to try and move the down.

I read a thread about a salmon faverolles chick who had this issue but her eye was crusting over. (the thread about Derperella) Frou Frou's eye is weeping not crusting. I still clean the discharge. When my DH gets home I'll make a chick burrito and have him hold her while I flush it. Time to dig out the magnifying glass...

6. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    This would be great to make sure I have everything I might need. I have hunting dogs so I keep an extensive animal first aid kit that includes prescription items that work for most of the animals we have here. When we got our first group of chicks I had added a bit to the first aid kit for them but this weepy eye is new ground for me.

Our first aid supplies in general would put the 99 cent store to shame. I am overly prepared. We lived in a cabin in the mountains miles from anyone and phone service didn't work in the winter when the lines froze. With bears always coming up to the cabin I had to make sure we had emt supplies in case our dog got into it with the local wildlife.

I keep water soluble and capsule antibiotics on hand but didn't think to get an eye ointment. The one area I over looked. [​IMG]

7. perilloux5

perilloux5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Yes, exactly. I love to give mine a couple big juicy worms and sit back and watch the show. As one is running around with the worm the others are grabbing bits as she runs by.

8. perchie.girl

1 person likes this.
  9. perchie.girl

1 person likes this.
  10. Grimm

Grimm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2014
    I have fish antibiotics already. My Roo has a fish tank in her room. We have been thinking about a pond stocked with tilapia or cat fish.

I'll have to get some finger cots. I have gloves but if I am only using the finger tips then the cots would be better.

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by