Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

lau.gif

Here are some names that my little Roo picked out

Zonkey
Banostrich
Shrimpanze

Can you tell she is 3 and likes the movie Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2?!

Would 1/4 inch hardware cloth with a heavier wire frame work? I have 4 inch stucco wire for the curve, and the hardware cloth for the covering.

A quilted Terry pad, the stretch & seal, and will be using straw over the whole thing.

The idea is awesome! Heat lamps have been a necessary evil. Mama Pad is our new broody. Thank you so much...

Just recently a chick got caught up in the wire, between the frame and pad I think, and injured his/her little foot, poor little thing. I think if you are going to use 4 inch wire you should be okay, especially if you put the hardware cloth on the inside of the frame. You could attach it with simple zip ties. Beekissed puts her heating pad on the inside of the frame, secured with bungee cords. There is a picture of how she did that on this thread....I think it's around page 56 or so. I could look it up if it would help. We have so many helpful and smart folks on here that I'm sure if they see a problem with your setup they'll chime in. I'm kinda learning as I go.

I think this entire system makes sooo much sense! I think you'll be pleased, and the chicks will be so content! A lot of people have gone before us, and we sure owe them a huge debt. And, as always, pictures please!!!! Pics of your setup before the chicks arrive would be great so if we do see something we can point it out beforehand! Welcome to your new position - broody hen!!

@COChix. I saw your album today and that was really nice. Thanks for sharing what you did to make it work. :thumbsup

Of course thank you for this thread. I am needing to update my album with pics of the wire rack now. I am having to problem solve tomorrow, need to raise the rack up some so all can fit under the rack easier. They seem to be growing like weeds but they are a barnyard mix with a BO as the dad so some seem huge to me at three weeks already. Others are dainty just like our EE.

Oh and as far as names go, some breeds are easier to tell apart, I absolutely agree with this statement. Thus 4/5 of our EE have names, whereas only 1/4 of our barred rocks have a name, 1/5 of our Delaware, etc....we have 23 birds maybe 10 are named.

Last edited:
My little Legbar chick Sunny lost her struggle to survive. She took a sudden turn for the worse today, removing any hope.

The surviving four are little balls of fire, zipping around their grow-out pen, eating FF and looking like round tennis balls. The only indication that it makes any difference to them at all that the temperature is barely above 40 is they disappear at regular intervals into their MHP cave.

Obviously, Sunny had a problem with failure to thrive since all four of these chicks have never shown any symptoms of anything. She was no bigger when she died than when I got her a week ago.

The surviving chicks now have names. The other Legbar is Strawberry. The Copper Marans is Sable. The two Cuckoo Marans are Summer and Sage.
Sorry to hear Sunny did not make, glad the others are doing good.

Back
Top Bottom