Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Bummer, so sorry.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG]

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Blooie, I would feel overwhelmed trying to come up with names for that many chicks! I had a hard enough time naming these four.

Maybe our friends here on this thread can help come up with names for the "numbered" chicks! What do you say, people?

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yeah, overwhelmed is exactly why they have numbers. Well, that and I can't tell most of them apart except the EEs. I feel a contest coming on! Two rules: I have to be able to spell it, and if your name isn't chosen you still hafta like me! Ready, set GO!

5. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    Your idea or not, Blooie, I love it. Won't be getting new chicks until next spring, so I'll have plenty of time to set it up. I've never been happy with the lamps, and this looks like a great alternative. Already have the dog crate that I move them into when they no longer need the heat source, so,that's one less step in the process.

Thanks for sharing!

6. 7 Biddies

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    For the 3 Red Sex Links, how about Huey, Dewey, and Louise? For the 7 unnamed light brahmas, Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Happy, Doc, Dopey. and Bashful? (I didn't even have to look them up.) :D

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Not a problem once they get past a week. I bet they are enjoying the play.... Mine could fly six feet straight up by the time they were two or three weeks.

deb

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You are very kind. I think you'll be as happy with this system as the rest of us have been. Nice to raise chickens instead of divas....they really know what they're doing and almost take care of themselves. Remember that MHP takes up more room in the brooder,so don't be surprised if that dog crate suddenly looks a little small, depending on how many chicks are in it. That is the only drawback I've found. Glad that you are out of the hospital and getting to eat real eggs again!

Okay, added them to the list! I have yet to figure out how I'm going to know which one is which, though, especially the Buff Brahmas! [​IMG]

9. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Just got orders from Katiebug - she says she named Beluga, Toad, and Turtles and wanted all of the new chicks to have animal names too. (She doesn't know about Phred) GO!

And yes, I do try to give her what she wants. I look at her and say, "Katie, you're my heart". She replies, "And Gramma, you're my gizzard." Now how to you say no to a love like that?

10. 7 Biddies

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop

Paint their toenails different colors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by