Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    H
    Hard to say, but I never blanketed my Arabs. They were brought into an unheated barn over night. When they were in the converted coop, my mother's mare who was black preferred to be outside while my filly (her daughter) preferred to be inside and dry

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

3. Cearbhael

Cearbhael Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015

They get that notion because the are hot blooded vs warm bloods, and cold bloods! Oh they are spirited but also very intelligent. My Majiid was like a rock! I could trust her with anything, and she trusted me to let her know if we were in any danger. She would follow you any where with a loss lead (or no lead at all) I could have handled her with a string! She would walk over plastic, through streams and swamp, etc. She was a wonderful trail horse. May I add that she was an Ansata Ibn Halima grand daughter, and a Morafic granddaughter. I have read that both horses were courageous, and neither was "flighty" despite what you here about "halter class" stallions. I personally feel neither of those two have seen their betters yet. Both were "working" horses that were under saddle and used!! The other line I love was the Shaikh al Arabi lineage. I bred Majiid to Ruminaja Fayez. Most people who know Arabs know of Ruminaja Ali. They are full brothers. Actually there were 6 full brothers and one full sister. All of them were world class champions. Last one I knew of still alive was owned by the king of Jordan but he may have passed by now. We lost Aja's daddy before she was born. Passed on Valentines day (was a very sad day) Aja arrived in June and we named her after her daddy. What was so amazing was to see all these legendary horses in her pedigree so close up. It is worth it breeding a good mare to a very old world class stud.

4. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

@Cearbhael

I do have a horse discussion thread... rather than hijack this one why dont we continue this conversation there... The link is in my signature

deb

5. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Well it was a thrift store find cost a whole $1.25

1 person likes this.
  6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    @COChix. I saw your album today and that was really nice. Thanks for sharing what you did to make it work. :thumbsup

7. MountainOrchard

MountainOrchard Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Virginia
    My guinea keets are still loving their MHP, and they have started climbing onto it and sliding down the sides. I covered it with plastic from a bag of pine shavings so it's a little slippery. They do it over and over again, they look like little penguins. So funny!

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    How old are they now? Will the slippery surface give them any leg problems or are they pretty much past that stage? Ever since Scout, I am so paranoid about legs and feet! :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My little Legbar chick Sunny lost her struggle to survive. She took a sudden turn for the worse today, removing any hope.

The surviving four are little balls of fire, zipping around their grow-out pen, eating FF and looking like round tennis balls. The only indication that it makes any difference to them at all that the temperature is barely above 40 is they disappear at regular intervals into their MHP cave.

Obviously, Sunny had a problem with failure to thrive since all four of these chicks have never shown any symptoms of anything. She was no bigger when she died than when I got her a week ago.

The surviving chicks now have names. The other Legbar is Strawberry. The Copper Marans is Sable. The two Cuckoo Marans are Summer and Sage.

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'm sorry. I know you did all you could. So glad that other little ones are doing well. They sure have a beautiful place to learn to be chickens! Love the names. I haven't come up with anything
    original yet. I had Beluga, the black and white EE, but lost him earlier this week to a freak accident. He was one of the Littles. He was one of the few with an actual name.
    [​IMG]
    Edited to add the names of the rest of the kids - and I had to copy and paste from another thread! [​IMG]

4 Light Brahmas -
    One
    Two
    Three
    Four

3 Rhode Island Reds -
    One
    Two
    Turtles (Granddaughter named him)

5 Easter Eggers -
    One
    Two