Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

... Are people really that threatened by a different way of doing things? ...

um, yes! people are generally threatened by change. as far as bacteria, well I guess anything to do with chicks results in high levels of bacterai but I have no reason to believe that bacteria levels are any higher in an MHP than a HLDT "heat lamp death trap" set up (sorry, couldn't resist). If anything, the lower overall temperature of the food and water reduces bacteria.

Last edited:
Had our 1st chick hen introductions tonight somewhat unexpectedly/accidentally. I had the hatch open so I could feel the feeder and the big girls were all out in the run. Getting impatient for their feed several of the chicks decided to hop out and run around and apparently this caught the attention of the big girls who had to come in and see what was going on. Mostly it was curious looks and some invasion of personal space but all went well for the most part. The only questionable interaction was when one of my big girls, Doris, approached the chicks a little too quickly for the liking of 1 of my sisters Marans who decided it was time to fly up in doris's face and challenge her to a dual. Doris was a bit taken aback and opted for retreat.
This was rather impromptu but does give me hope for the more planned introductions that I hope to do this weekend.
It would be great if I could have everyone fully integrated within the next couple of weeks because the next batch of chicks arrive at the end of the month and ill need the brooder space again

To the person running an extension cord to the coop, use an outdoor approved, make sure it is GFI, wrap any extension outlets in something water proof.
My husband is a controls engineer and he made sure the feral cat’s heating pad was safe.
I have not had chickens yet. I ordered eggs and they are shipping the second week of April. I am getting my incubator, etc all ready.
I’m going to try the mama heating pad.
I already have the kind y’all use.
This is a really long thread whew.
I think I’m really on like page 10, lol.

Skip to page 46....it shows the updated version most folks have switched to. Yes on the extension cords! Hubby is an electrician and he cringes anytime he even hears the “E” word. A few of the the things we stress in this thread are NOT to use an old heating pad that’s been folded or rolled up in the dark recesses of the linen closet. The heating element wires could have become brittle and crack or break, shorting out the pad and causing a fire. We recommend, if an extension cord must be used, everything you said plus trying to keep the run of cord down and don’t use a series of them hooked together. Covering all connections is critical....there are waterproof, dustproof clamshell type connectors that are made just for that purpose, as well as good old electrical tape. Ken hardwired my coop as well as my run, and as usual everything he does meets code or he won’t do it. He has degrees in instrumentation and electrical engineering and served as the electrical officer onboard several Naval ships. He also co- wrote the Navy’s text books for the electricians’ mate and interior communications schools. When he speaks, I listen - well, at least as far as anything electrical goes! :D Aren’t we blessed to have such great helpers with something so critical ?

We are so glad you are joining the Broody Brigade! I know the thread is huge, but part of the reason for that is because the “old timers” are always available to help so there’s usually someone around. This is such a dramatic change from the conventional way of brooding that people always have questions and sometimes need a little reassurance. I think you’re going to like it here!

Woo hoo! After searching all morning using every search term I could come up with, I finally found the video that was the inspiration for this project! Thank you, Patrice Lopatin!! I can finally give you the proper credit. Check out this video - if it doesn't make a believer out of you I'll be surprised!

So using this method of the cave , would you not use the lamp anymore or just turn it off at night ?

Had our 1st chick hen introductions tonight somewhat unexpectedly/accidentally.
It's amazing to see who will be protective, who will be aggressive, and who is just rather kinda dumbfounded when those tiny chicks start running around amongst the 'giants'.

So using this method of the cave , would you not use the lamp anymore or just turn it off at night ?
I still use a 'heat' light (100W red reptile bulb on a dimmer cord to control heat output) over the feed/water station (only during the day) for the first day or two after hatching....just to make sure everyone is eating and drinking and to observe closely for any problems.

Here's another option for using a heating pad in the brooder,
more like the commercial brooder plates than a cave,
easier to adjust height and tip up to check underneath.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate.67729/

Do you think I can do this under this shelf in the coop with chicks ? I am thinking that 4 may be too many?
Here are a couple pics of the inside of coop, I was thinking of of putting wire around under the shelf and a makeshift door.
22" deep by 33" long and 18" tall under it.
I do need to extend the roost area and will most likely have it along that whole back wall. It will have the same type shelf next to the old one. So it would be 7 feet long.
Would that be enough for 4 chicks ?
CAM03674.jpg
CAM03654.jpg

Back
Top Bottom