Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I found this thread shortly after I joined (it was already long, but I read it all!) and have followed it off and on since. I used MHP in 2017 and it worked great! I’m getting chicks again this year and will definitely use this method again. The only change I may make is in the heating pad. I used the one from the original post and have since adopted that pad for my bad shoulder. So since I’m going to get another pad I thought I might get the model that doesn’t need to be reset if there’s a power outage. I remember it being mentioned and I think it’s the same brand, but I can’t find the post with the model number. Can anyone help with that?

@Melodychick - This is the heating pad that I used.

Sunbeam Heating pad #732-500

I bought it off of Amazon almost 3 yrs ago. I don't think it's the same pad that I bought back then. If you read the descriptions, you will notice that it says it has a 2 hour auto shut off. Mine does not have that. I would call Sunbeam and ask them. That is how I found this pad. I called and asked them if they had a pad with no auto shut off.

@Blooie - Thanks for tagging me. I just happened to log on tonight. Wish I could have been more help.

@Melodychick - This is the heating pad that I used.

Sunbeam Heating pad #732-500

I bought it off of Amazon almost 3 yrs ago. I don't think it's the same pad that I bought back then. If you read the descriptions, you will notice that it says it has a 2 hour auto shut off. Mine does not have that. I would call Sunbeam and ask them. That is how I found this pad. I called and asked them if they had a pad with no auto shut off.

@Blooie - Thanks for tagging me. I just happened to log on tonight. Wish I could have been more help.

That's the one I bought too
Screenshot_20190107-204131.png

I found this thread shortly after I joined (it was already long, but I read it all!) and have followed it off and on since. I used MHP in 2017 and it worked great! I’m getting chicks again this year and will definitely use this method again. The only change I may make is in the heating pad. I used the one from the original post and have since adopted that pad for my bad shoulder. So since I’m going to get another pad I thought I might get the model that doesn’t need to be reset if there’s a power outage. I remember it being mentioned and I think it’s the same brand, but I can’t find the post with the model number. Can anyone help with that?
It’s getting harder and harder to find a heating pad without a digital control pad. I use a small UPS (uninterrupted power supply) device I got at Walmart since we have numerous power flickers during storm season. It will hold the heating pad on for any power outage 30 minutes or less.

I’ve got 75 new chicks arriving in March. 3 brooders with MHPs are getting set up.

It’s getting harder and harder to find a heating pad without a digital control pad. I use a small UPS (uninterrupted power supply) device I got at Walmart since we have numerous power flickers during storm season. It will hold the heating pad on for any power outage 30 minutes or less.

I’ve got 75 new chicks arriving in March. 3 brooders with MHPs are getting set up.

And I prefer the digital control! I like being able to shift from 1 to 6, depending on what the chicks need.

75 chicks! Wow!! As much as it pains me to say this, you might be better off using a heat lamp with that many chicks. OUCH!

And I prefer the digital control! I like being able to shift from 1 to 6, depending on what the chicks need.

75 chicks! Wow!! As much as it pains me to say this, you might be better off using a heat lamp with that many chicks. OUCH!

They’ll be split up 25 to a brooder. I’ve got 4 brooders so I’ll have one free to rotate chicks to while cleaning. I already have the heating pads so the only thing I need to build is a few more frames.

I doubt I’ll ever use heat lamps again. I’ve lost too many animals and my in-laws lost a barn a few years ago to a heat lamp falling off its clamp.

*I guess I should state that I’m starting back over from scratch. Coyotes broke into the chicken yard and wiped out the entire flock of about 35 birds in less than an hour. I’ve rebuilt, reinforced, and expanded the coop and run. Just a little more work on the chicken yard fence and we’re ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom