Mama Heating Pad Question

redrobynlane

Chirping
Mar 9, 2015
Hi All! I'm set on doing this "mama heating pad" set up this year for my chicks. I live in Reno, NV and in the early spring its still very cold here (aroud freezing or so). I'm going to do a large brooder in my garage which I'd stay stays around 40 or higher at night because it is insulated BUT i'm still worried about the heating pad providing enough warmth to make it that 95 they need. I was wondering about using a heating pad ... or maybe like a seedling mat UNDER them, and then doing the cave with heating pad or seedling mat over the top? That way they have heat radiating through the "floor" and overhead. I'll be brooding anywhere from 30-100 chicks at a time so I'm looking to make a large cave. I was thinking 2 seedling mats maybe (each 20x48) so there would be one on the floor, and one overhead with a total cave space of around 20 x 40 or so (length minus sides). What do you think of this idea?
Or, brooding this many chicks is it a silly idea and I should just invest in a sweeter heater or the like? I'm just really wanting to avoid heat lamps (ceramic or other).

The beauty of the heating pad brooding system is that it is the closest to an actual broody hen you will get as far as keeping the chicks warm in a manner in which they are genetically programmed to utilize.

All other artificial heat sources act as radiant heat, but Mama Heating Pad warms the chicks by direct contact just as a broody hen does. Because of this difference between the two types of heat, the heating pad will not need to warm the heat "footprint" on the floor of the brooder as high as radiant heat does. While a heat plate or heat lamp will need to raise the floor temp to around 90-95F, the heating pad will only raise it to 80F. However, if you test the heating pad itself on the highest setting, the thermometer will read 100F, which is just slightly cooler than the direct contact temp the chicks would have with the underside of their broody hen. Warning, do not use a heating pad without the protective cloth cover to evenly distribute the heat or else the chicks can get burned as an uncovered pad can get up to 110F or more.

Just as with a broody hen, the chicks will suffer no discomfort or negative consequences if the ambient temp in your garage falls into the 30s or even high 20s. They will remain toasty warm under the heating pad as long as the power doesn't fail or you have a pad that turns itself off automatically after two hours. You need a pad with a "stay-on" selection.

You need to adjust the heating pad frame so the tiny chicks have direct contact with the heating pad, and adjust the frame each week as the chicks double in size. By age three weeks, the chicks will no longer use the heating pad during the day, and by age four to five weeks, they will very likely be finished with it all together.

The beauty of the heating pad brooding system is that it is the closest to an actual broody hen you will get as far as keeping the chicks warm in a manner in which they are genetically programmed to utilize.

All other artificial heat sources act as radiant heat, but Mama Heating Pad warms the chicks by direct contact just as a broody hen does. Because of this difference between the two types of heat, the heating pad will not need to warm the heat "footprint" on the floor of the brooder as high as radiant heat does. While a heat plate or heat lamp will need to raise the floor temp to around 90-95F, the heating pad will only raise it to 80F. However, if you test the heating pad itself on the highest setting, the thermometer will read 100F, which is just slightly cooler than the direct contact temp the chicks would have with the underside of their broody hen. Warning, do not use a heating pad without the protective cloth cover to evenly distribute the heat or else the chicks can get burned as an uncovered pad can get up to 110F or more.

Just as with a broody hen, the chicks will suffer no discomfort or negative consequences if the ambient temp in your garage falls into the 30s or even high 20s. They will remain toasty warm under the heating pad as long as the power doesn't fail or you have a pad that turns itself off automatically after two hours. You need a pad with a "stay-on" selection.

You need to adjust the heating pad frame so the tiny chicks have direct contact with the heating pad, and adjust the frame each week as the chicks double in size. By age three weeks, the chicks will no longer use the heating pad during the day, and by age four to five weeks, they will very likely be finished with it all together.
ok, so you're saying i need no baseheat because the overhead will be enough? Do you think the seedling mat would provide enough heat overhead or does it have to be a "heating pad"?

The seedling mat would add too much extra heat. You wouldn' put a seedling mat under a broody hen either, it would cook the chicks as well as the broody. Are you beginning to understand the concept?

Last edited:
The seedling mat would add too much extra heat. You wouldn' put a seedling mat under a broody hen either, it would cook the chicks as well as the broody. Are you beginning to understand the concept?
yes, actually that makes more sense. Do you think a seedling mat would provide enough heat vs. a human heating pad? since I'm brooding so many chicks, doing a 20x48 mat is easier than doing 2 or more smaller human heating pads. The largest I've found is around 24'' long

The problem with the seedling mat is it heats the chicks feet. That will not heat the chicks as their blood flow from their feet up their legs isn't conducive to heating their cores. This is very important, and it's why we heat brooders with the chicks inside them from above and not below.

If you can grasp the concept of how a broody hen transfers her heat to the chicks, she isn't having them stand on her back, then you will understand how chicks need to be heated. The next best way to heat large numbers of chicks would be a large heat plate or a hover brooder heater.

I think the OP means to use a seedling mat in place of the regular heating pads. :)

I use both; I like the way the seedling mats heat when I’m brooding quail, since they like it hotter than chicken chicks. I use a wire frame and zip tie or otherwise attach whatever heating pad I’m using to it. I make sure the back is lower than the front, and use a cloth covering over the seedling mats too. You may have to play around with the height to make it optimal, but the chicks will show you what they like once you fiddle with it a bit. I usually use paper towel on the floor at the beginning, and once they get the hang of eating properly, they get shavings or straw, depending on what species they are. :)

I think the OP means to use a seedling mat in place of the regular heating pads. :)

I use both; I like the way the seedling mats heat when I’m brooding quail, since they like it hotter than chicken chicks. I use a wire frame and zip tie or otherwise attach whatever heating pad I’m using to it. I make sure the back is lower than the front, and use a cloth covering over the seedling mats too. You may have to play around with the height to make it optimal, but the chicks will show you what they like once you fiddle with it a bit. I usually use paper towel on the floor at the beginning, and once they get the hang of eating properly, they get shavings or straw, depending on what species they are. :)
yes, exactly, i mean using a seedling mat overhead (instaed of a heating pad), mainly because seedling mats are available in a 20x48 option. based on your experience a seedling mat is HOTTER than a heating pad? perhaps i could make it work for the chicks by just starting out slightly higher than i would with a pad? I'm just trying to figure it out and was hoping to have everything set in place before chicks got here so I'm not just giving up and using a heat lamp due to frusteration or worry

Back
Top Bottom