mama hen killed protecting her chicks, what do i do?

Nariah01

Songster
Apr 17, 2016
So we had a coyote come and kill my mama hen while she and her 7 chicks were free ranging with the flock. the chicks are about 4-5 weeks old and I would say 70% feathered out. they have been living with the rest of the flock in the coop. I was thinking I would give them a small huddle box and fence off underneath my poop board so they could remain with the flock and make integration easier since mom is no longer around to do it for me. I guess does this sound like it will work ok? I am just so **** upset and mad this was our first time with a mama hen raising babies and she was the best **** mom and the leader of my flock. The chicks have been calling and looking for her, just want some ideas and support.

Thanks.

hit.gif
I'm sorry this happened to your momma hen. I hope everything works out for the chicks.

So we had a coyote come and kill my mama hen while she and her 7 chicks were free ranging with the flock. the chicks are about 4-5 weeks old and I would say 70% feathered out. they have been living with the rest of the flock in the coop. I was thinking I would give them a small huddle box and fence off underneath my poop board so they could remain with the flock and make integration easier since mom is no longer around to do it for me. I guess does this sound like it will work ok? I am just so **** upset and mad this was our first time with a mama hen raising babies and she was the best **** mom and the leader of my flock. The chicks have been calling and looking for her, just want some ideas and support.

Thanks.

If they have been with the flock the whole five weeks they will be fine At five weeks she wasn't brooding them anymore just right with them . Just leave them as they are . Momma has already taught them all they need to know . Just make sure they come to roost at night and kill that SOB coyote it will be back soon .

I live in Washington state, we are getting now lower then 40 degrees at night. They have been with the flock most of their lives, mama was protecting them mostly so the others wouldn't pick on them. She was also teaching them to forage and where to scratch that sort of thing. sadly they are not her chicks, I wish they were, she adopted them at 5 days old we purchased them from the feed store so I could get the breeds I wanted. Either way she was my best hen and I am really torn up about this. I was going to fence them off in the coop for a little bit just until they are a bit bigger since mom isn't there to chase off the other chickens. But they will still be with the other chickens just on the other side of a wire fence. How long do you think I should leave the fence up?

And yes I am going to kill that SOB next time I see it. The main reason too that I am putting up a wire fence is because I am locking all the chickens up until I can sort this out with this **** coyote so I won't lose anymore. And I just want to make sure the bigger chickens don't bully the little girls.

Back
Top Bottom