Mama is moving remaining eggs and hatched chicks away from a hatch in progress

May 12, 2020
Checked on mama, 2 new chicks and her 3 remaining eggs tonight and she had moved the 2 chicks and 2 eggs away from a hatch in progress. I thought it was already dead so I picked it up to check and pulled a little piece of the egg away and it peeped at me. I quickly stuck it back under the mama and left. I came back 15 minutes later and she had again moved her 2 remaining eggs and the 2 chicks clear to the other side of the brooder, with the half hatched egg chick on the opposite side. I helped the egg chick warm up under a light and emerge (I know maybe I shouldn't have, I kinda panicked) and helped it dry off a little. I just stuck it under the mama again and I'm going to check again in 15 minutes but please give me advice!!!

Checked on mama, 2 new chicks and her 3 remaining eggs tonight and she had moved the 2 chicks and 2 eggs away from a hatch in progress. I thought it was already dead so I picked it up to check and pulled a little piece of the egg away and it peeped at me. I quickly stuck it back under the mama and left. I came back 15 minutes later and she had again moved her 2 remaining eggs and the 2 chicks clear to the other side of the brooder, with the half hatched egg chick on the opposite side. I helped the egg chick warm up under a light and emerge (I know maybe I shouldn't have, I kinda panicked) and helped it dry off a little. I just stuck it under the mama again and I'm going to check again in 15 minutes but please give me advice!!!
Should probably put it in a incubator until it's able to move around and keep up with mom. She might leave it behind if it doesn't keep up with her and the other two.

Last edited:
Should probably put it in a bathroom until it's able to move around and keep up with mom. She might leave it behind if it doesn't keep up with her and the other two.
The box they are all in is pretty small, I was thinking about keeping it in it's own box with a light. Just checked 15 minutes out though and mama is on all 3 right now. 🤞 hope it stays that way.

Me to. Providing another heat source just in case sounds like a good idea though.
So I was thinking this as well, just in case she moves to the other side of the box again, and I tried to attach the heat lamp to the box with the mama in it and she kinda freaked out. Maybe I could go into the room and attach it a little further away. I'll post an update next time I check. Part of me just wants to give them all time to figure it out and let nature do it's thing, she's been such a good mama so far. Hard to just step away though.

So I was thinking this as well, just in case she moves to the other side of the box again, and I tried to attach the heat lamp to the box with the mama in it and she kinda freaked out. Maybe I could go into the room and attach it a little further away. I'll post an update next time I check. Part of me just wants to give them all time to figure it out and let nature do it's thing, she's been such a good mama so far. Hard to just step away though.
Do you have a momma heating pad? It is more natural then a heat lamp, and doesn't get hot to the touch like a heat lamp.

Did it hatch? She may be moving away from it for a reason. There may be something wrong with the chick.
Yea that's what I keep wondering. The baby is hatched and the last time I checked, about an hour after the placing the chick under the mama, it seemed like it was still under the mama with the 2 other chicks hatched a few days ago and 2 more unhatched eggs. We'll see what's going on in the morning. Hopefully I find 3 happy chicks. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom