Man at feed store said i need more protein?? How??

mattdog1995

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Elizabeth City, NC
I went to the feed store the other day to buy some more chick starter for my chicks(4 weeks) and my turkeys(6-7weeks) but he said that my turkeys probably need more protein, what can i feed them for that? Is there something i can buy? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
big_smile.png

Game bird starter has between 24-30% protein, but if it's over 24%, that is a bit high for chicks. You could use Flock Raiser by Purina, for all breeds, but it's about 20%. You could mix the chick starter and high protein game bird starter to get an in-between %.

I've never raised turkeys....so hopefully, someone who does will chime in.

The way I get additional protein into my Silkies' diet is with : fish meal, kitten chow, chopped hard boiled eggs and commercial Game Bird feed.

Hope this helps
big_smile.png

I feed my chickens "paws and claws" brand kitten food in small quantities as a treat to bring upi their protein intake. Bag says minimum 41% crude protein, and it is pretty cheap $5.99 at the local TSC.

Quote:
You could follow any of great suggestions given. What I do when I want to bump up protein for specific birds, I go get some fish meal (approx 60% protein) and use Persons square to calculate the amount to add to get to the desired protein level..

ON

Does your seed store have turkey starter? I had to look to get non-medicated though its hard to find even here where I have a great selection of foods. I feed the Aslin Finch brand. Purina makes medicated. At 8-10 weeks you can lower the protien and switch to grower about 20-22% protien, I am using Purina grower I just switched.

If you can't find turkey at all, look for game bird feed as a starter, for starter you want 27% protien, and can switch to 20-22 % as grower.

Use starter till 8 min to 10 weeks, then switch to grower. Young turkeys need high protien for leg development early on.

Back
Top Bottom