Man at feed store said i need more protein?? How??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mattdog1995, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    I went to the feed store the other day to buy some more chick starter for my chicks(4 weeks) and my turkeys(6-7weeks) but he said that my turkeys probably need more protein, what can i feed them for that? Is there something i can buy? Any help is appreciated! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Game bird starter has between 24-30% protein, but if it's over 24%, that is a bit high for chicks. You could use Flock Raiser by Purina, for all breeds, but it's about 20%. You could mix the chick starter and high protein game bird starter to get an in-between %.

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I've never raised turkeys....so hopefully, someone who does will chime in.

The way I get additional protein into my Silkies' diet is with : fish meal, kitten chow, chopped hard boiled eggs and commercial Game Bird feed.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    ask him if he has any meat bird 8 week crumbles.

5. cutlass1972

cutlass1972 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    I feed my chickens "paws and claws" brand kitten food in small quantities as a treat to bring upi their protein intake. Bag says minimum 41% crude protein, and it is pretty cheap $5.99 at the local TSC.

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:You could follow any of great suggestions given. What I do when I want to bump up protein for specific birds, I go get some fish meal (approx 60% protein) and use Persons square to calculate the amount to add to get to the desired protein level..

ON

7. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    They should stock "gamebird" feed or "grower" mix. Either should supply ample protein.

8. fwschrom

fwschrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Hayden Idaho
    Does your seed store have turkey starter? I had to look to get non-medicated though its hard to find even here where I have a great selection of foods. I feed the Aslin Finch brand. Purina makes medicated. At 8-10 weeks you can lower the protien and switch to grower about 20-22% protien, I am using Purina grower I just switched.

If you can't find turkey at all, look for game bird feed as a starter, for starter you want 27% protien, and can switch to 20-22 % as grower.

Use starter till 8 min to 10 weeks, then switch to grower. Young turkeys need high protien for leg development early on.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Flock raiser is 20% protein. Works for chicks, chickens and turkeys.

10. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Thank you everyone for the information! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by