Managing feed totes

Juther

Songster
Feb 27, 2018
So hubs found me a wonderful little fiberglass house to store my feed. Naturally I need to fill it and found a 2,000lb tote on a pallet. It should last me 6 months. I told hubs we can have it delivered to work so they can put it on a trailer with the forklift. BUT, after I get that trailer home how the heck do I get all that feed into my feed room. Door is standard size. And, what do I store the feed in?

To move the feed, if you don't have a tractor or skid steer, rent one!! They make walk behind ones too (called a Dingo at the rental place here). You could then just take the pallet over to your shed and shovel it from one container to the other, or if the opening is large enough the skid steer has a bucket too which you could scoop and dump the fed with!

Otherwise it's likely to be a manual process involving a lot of physical work...Wheelbarrow? Conveyor belts? People with bags and shovels? Dump cart?

I've looked at a lot of options to store food, food grade tanks or drums are the best. There are many sizes, shapes, and options in metal, BPA free plastic, and I'm sure other materials. It's all about how much you want to spend and if you can fit the container in the storage house. I have not decided on a storage option yet but these are the types I'm considering:

plastic-storage-blue-barrels.jpg

61UrZo0QkKL._SX342_.jpg

I failed to mention I do have a tractor. The transfer from tote to container will be a huge undertaking. Have you found a clamp style lid for the blue drums? I don't know how one would get feed out of the little hole on top without the clamp top.

To move the feed, if you don't have a tractor or skid steer, rent one!! They make walk behind ones too (called a Dingo at the rental place here). You could then just take the pallet over to your shed and shovel it from one container to the other, or if the opening is large enough the skid steer has a bucket too which you could scoop and dump the fed with!

Otherwise it's likely to be a manual process involving a lot of physical work...Wheelbarrow? Conveyor belts? People with bags and shovels? Dump cart?

I've looked at a lot of options to store food, food grade tanks or drums are the best. There are many sizes, shapes, and options in metal, BPA free plastic, and I'm sure other materials. It's all about how much you want to spend and if you can fit the container in the storage house. I have not decided on a storage option yet but these are the types I'm considering:

plastic-storage-blue-barrels.jpg

61UrZo0QkKL._SX342_.jpg

Yes, you can find 55 gallon food grade drums with removable tops, like this, although there are many styles, this is just one that I have found common around here:

202-poly-2.jpg

I wonder how many 55 gallon drums you will fill, seems like a lot!! They make dollies/movers for these drums, so once filled you could move them around and into the storage.

Seems like you are ordering enough food there might be a better option. Hopefully some other members have experience managing larger amounts of food.

Ya I had 55 and 30 gallon plastic ones with clamp on tops. I bought bagged feed by the pallet. 40 50lb bags and just backed up and carried them in and dumped them in barrels.
It wasn't long until rodents chewed into many of them and started stealing my feed and spreading it around. I then switched to metal 55 gallon drums.
Those totes just seemed like too much hassle but I don't have equipment either.
Curious if some place might make a mini auger system like used to put grain in a silo. When I was a kid my uncle had one he would haul grain in a trailer then shove the auger deal into it and it would haul the feed up and into the top of a metal silo he had. Seems maybe you could find one or maybe have something made you could shove in the tote them move the other end from barrel to barrel.
Sounds better then man powering it from one to the other. IDK

Edit to add. I was putting about 300 lbs per 55 gallon drum.

Last edited:
It wasn't long until rodents chewed into many of them and started stealing my feed and spreading it around. I then switched to metal 55 gallon drums.
Those totes just seemed like too much hassle but I don't have equipment either.

I read about that and wondered. Those barrels are THICK! I guess mice can chew threw almost anything!! Guess I will rethink my storage options. I have seen metal food grade drums for sale.

Curious if some place might make a mini auger system like used to put grain in a silo. When I was a kid my uncle had one he would haul grain in a trailer then shove the auger deal into it and it would haul the feed up and into the top of a metal silo he had. Seems maybe you could find one or maybe have something made you could shove in the tote them move the other end from barrel to barrel.
Sounds better then man powering it from one to the other. IDK

Interesting results come up when searching, yes there are options!

https://www.google.com/search?q=min...0l3j69i64l3.4723j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Back
Top Bottom