Mandarin Duck isn't laying eggs

gafarmwomanPam

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Georgia
We have a pair of Mandarin Ducks. They are at least a year old but the female hasn't laid any eggs yet. Someone said we needed a wood duck style nest box and we put it up but still no eggs. Any suggestions?
Thanks
38540_duck3.jpg

mine didn't either til they were 2 yrs old. Then they laid about 8 eggs between the 2 of them, and didn't hatch any live babies. Some had developed, but died in the shell, and some just rotted with developing. Hopefully they 'get it' next year.

You wont get any eggs this year as the breeding season is well over now, keep them healthy through the winter and you should see your first eggs next year. If you remove the box remember to put it back up about January so they can get accustomed to it. Goodluck next year!!.........Jason

Quote:
And it never hurts togive them a choice of nest boxes, I don't Know if it is location or construction or what but they can be choosy.

Quote:
Goosedragon has a great point!! Even though you only have one pair, they may not like the location/type of box!! Put about 3 boxes up and take down the ones she chooses not to nest in!!

I had three different types of nest boxes this year for experimental purposes, the mandarins and ring teal seemed to love the nest boxes with an enclosed porch entrance, it creates a darker nesting area and blocks the wind, sun and rain no matter where it comes from!! I also experienced less egg breakage as the hens did not drop straight down on the eggs like in a traditional wood duck box.

This year i am going to throw up a bunch more boxes of a prototype i think might work, a combo of all boxes, and see what happens!! I think i may even use a few on my wild wood duck project to see if the wild woodies will use them!! I will post pic's when i start making them!!....................Jason

Quote:
Goosedragon has a great point!! Even though you only have one pair, they may not like the location/type of box!! Put about 3 boxes up and take down the ones she chooses not to nest in!!

I had three different types of nest boxes this year for experimental purposes, the mandarins and ring teal seemed to love the nest boxes with an enclosed porch entrance, it creates a darker nesting area and blocks the wind, sun and rain no matter where it comes from!! I also experienced less egg breakage as the hens did not drop straight down on the eggs like in a traditional wood duck box.

This year i am going to throw up a bunch more boxes of a prototype i think might work, a combo of all boxes, and see what happens!! I think i may even use a few on my wild wood duck project to see if the wild woodies will use them!! I will post pic's when i start making them!!....................Jason

cawooduck, do you have a pic of your nest box with the porch? I think I know what you're talking about but would like to see a pic. I'm getting ready to build some nest boxes.

Back
Top Bottom