Manitoba Members

Hi from Woodlands, I have 40 white leghorns hens. Had them for a month now, first time chicken farmer LOL. Learning lots at BYC and found this Manitoba page and thought i say HI.

Hello All.

It me again I was just wondering if anybody in Manitoba has got or uses chicken nipples for watering pails? I saw these and read about them on BYC, but havein a heck of a time trying to get them to Canada, Sears tells me i need a usa address to get them or go to the usa to get them free trade yah right LOL. Well off to the chicken coop it's EGG time LOL

Later Bob M.

Hey everyone, I'm from near Lorette. Sounds like some of you a real close. Don't have any hens yet but my wife and I have been planning on getting some since we moved. I've been reading about raisin chickens for a while and am hoping to get around to it soon. Still looking for cold weather coop plans so if you have them or know where I can go to get them, let me know. Anyone have a preference for Manitoba hardy hens?
Chris

Last edited:
Hello All.

It me again I was just wondering if anybody in Manitoba has got or uses  chicken nipples for watering pails?  I saw these and read about them on BYC, but havein a heck of a time trying to get them to Canada, Sears tells me i need a usa  address to get them or go to the usa to get them free trade yah right LOL.  Well off to the chicken coop it's EGG time LOL

Later Bob M.

I've not tried the nipples, but in summer I don't see why they wouldn't work since I start all my chicks with a rabbit water bottle since it keeps their water and the brooder cleaner. I hope to also try the nipples eventually.

Hello fellow Manitoba members!
Does anyone have any experience with keeping chickens in an area that typically does not allow them, because after all, they are very 'exotic' animals?! Lol
I REALLY want to keep some, we cannot afford groceries MOST of the time... But we cannot, we live in town ( but sort of on the edge).

Unfortunately, keeping chickens is expensive. You put in more money than you pull out, even if you sell the eggs, you have to count the cost of the coop, food, electrical, heating, meds (if you go that far) and all the other blah blah blahs. I kept chickens when I lived in West St. Paul. When I got a rooster he let everyone know of my operation. I lived in a residential area and I soon received a letter from the R.M. saying I could not keep livestock in an area not labeled "agriculture". Anyway, I got rid of the rooster and kept my few layers and all was well:). Now I've moved to an agricultural zoned area.
I'm not sure how strict they are in Steinbach, but I have a few friends who sneak in chickens down there. With my experience, they give you the letter as a warning to get rid of the animals in a certain amount of days or you will be fined. I don't know if you would want to invest in buying everything only to be told you have to get rid of it in a matter of days?? How many birds were you thinking of getting? All the best!

Well I was just thinking 3-6 hens only, I was not really thinking of overwintering, at least not while we're living where we are.
I was also just thinking of using things we have around the yard for their nest boxes/run
They'll be free ranged too, but only in a portion of our yard directly behind our house.

Last edited:
That's great then! That's what we did when we moved out here a couple years ago. The ducks were under a wood box and the chickens were in a "coop" I made out of scrap wood I found in the bush. I free range too. It brings the cost of feed way down as they can find all they need. Unfortunately, predators have picked off a few in the past. I just lost one duckling and one chick. But it's the cost of free range:) It's great to have them wandering around.

Back
Top Bottom