Many people getting lay-offs yet?

DH got laid off on April 1st of this year but he was lucky and found a job finally 4 weeks ago. All I can say is thank the Lord for unemployment or we would have been in deep cow patties.
big_smile.png
Unemployment isn't a lot but it's enough to get by and we really appreciated it.

I had to lay off an employee yesterday. I still have two others and have no idea what next year will bring. I do know the severance package will go downhill. These ladies all have other 25 years with the company I work for.

This has been a very hard week.

You're an unusual duck nautical boy. My sister was devastated by having to lay off employees. She is well aware of what this will do to some families on the edge. She forced herself to face each and every one of them to do it.

She remains hopeful that an upturn will allow her to rehire them, but she's not hopeful.

My husband works for a wireline company, which, is closely related to the oil/gas industry. Hopefully, there will always be a need for his job as he pays all the bills.
Course, with a CDL and HazMat license, he actually has other options.

I was "downsized"(the term my company was using at the time for layoff) in 2002 because they were "restructuring" the workforce. What it meant was that I, a salaried employee of more than 30 years, was replaced with an hourly-paid temporary employee who does not receive benefits from the company. I considered myself lucky as I had so many years in and was over 55, so when my compensation package expired, I was able to go directly into drawing my retirement - altho it is at a reduced rate. It also affects social security when I reach that age, as I only found employment that paid less than what I was earning. Now I'm a SAHGM with 4 yo DGS.
Times are hard; I understand the company's viewpoint in the "bottom line", but my heart goes out to all those who are younger and no jobs available.

The pre-cast concrete part of our business is slow but for better or worse there will always be a need for burial vaults, cremations and cemetery plots.
We are luckier than most and haven't had to lay anyone off yet.

Back
Top Bottom