Many people getting lay-offs yet?

DH is a union carpenter and just got laid off, but thats due to the job being finished. Hopefully he will be back to work with in a few weeks.
Me on the other hand I have been looking for a job for over a year.

Quote:
OH? Would that be your Other Husband?
wink.png

Peace -
Meriah

DH has been out of work since August 2006. Right now I'm the only one working but I can only when I'm not dealing with the effects of chemo!! All those agencies that say they will help you won't until they are ready to to off the power or they have come and slap a sign on your door that you are being forclosed on.

Our school district is actually growing, so we've had to hire more teachers.

However, our school board fired our union custodial staff (who went above and beyond their duties, were positive people, had great rapport with the kids, etc.) and outsourced to a cleaning company to "save money." This was actually very controversial because the school board found out that the person that proposed the idea lied about how much money they would save. They only found this out AFTER they had signed the contract with the new company.

The new company? You wouldn't even notice we had a new cleaning company. They don't wash the desks, they don't wash the whiteboards, and you'd hardly notice they vacuumed. Our principal, who isn't a union member (administrators can't belong) is really mad about it because the new people make our building look like crap.

BLAH.

I am lucky I work for a community bank and we are actually growing, people don't trust the big boys anymore.
Here in Eastern Missouri things have been rough, Chrysler is shutting down 1 of it's 2 plants and laying off 2400 workers (moving the work to Canada) and the trickle down of that could be as many as 3 times the 2400 workers. A company that made seats for the cars employing over 500 has already shut down.
A Belgium company called Inbev is in the process of buying St Louis based Anhueser Busch (makers of Budweiser, Bud Light etc, if you didn't know) and who knows how many of the 6,000 people who work downtown will lose their jobs.
The two mention examples above can be directly be blamed on the week dollar. Cheaper to manufactor the cars in Canada and Inbev would never have been able to afford Anhueser Busch if the dollar wasn't so weak against the Euro.
I hope the next president can do a better job than last one to turn this country around and bring jobs back instead of shipping outside the borders.
I don't think there are enough Wal Marts and McDonalds to employ us all.

I truly wish I could demand that anyone who works on Wall Street or runs businesses would be forced to listen to Dan Ariely's Predictably Irrational.

Most economists base their plans on "rational" market behavior - and they themselves do not behave rationally!! If you account for irrationality you protect your plan.

Besides, if I came to you and said, "You can leave work today with 12.5 million in your pockets, but all of your co-workers would lose their jobs." What would YOU do? What if I promised you that your coworkers would never know it was you?

What if your coworkers would stay employed, but some company on the other side of the country would have to lay off everybody?

We're talking human nature here.

trailer industry here in IN is really in toilet. Lot of people will lose jobs. They made good money but wonder how much they saved. Hearing that fuel companies will only deliver IF they have $$ to pay on delivery. could be cold winter for some.

Back
Top Bottom