Mapuche Huastec Thread

Thank you! I'm pretty much set on getting some of these when I am able to keep chickens (and roosters).
big_smile.png
I plan to have an open style coop that has maybe only three walls so they would get a good breeze. It would open straight into a covered run under some shade with plenty of water, of course. When it gets ultra hot maybe they can have a little pan of water to stand in if they want. Our winters are really nice and rarely go below 30* F.

I would love to learn more about these birds and their history with the people that raised them. If you have any other sources of info (besides Resolution's threads, I've already read those
wink.png
), could you direct me to it?

Thanks,
Emily

Wow, thanks for that info. I was considering the possibilities of silky background also.

I hatched a chick with a silky "mutation" this year. Cute little thing...

By the way, that last link you gave didn't make much sense.

I love the squirrel tale and the way they hold their bodies forward on their short legs.
70075_huestec_3.jpg

It does seem they have a Japanese type tail.
What is the weights of full grown Cocks & hens ?

Oh, and they also do very well in extreme cold...

The Huastec is also known as the Mexican Taihe or Mexican Silky, though the actual silken plumage is recessive with only one in ten being feathered like a silky. The Huastec has a unique appearance - the other two ancestral progenitor breeds are the Paco or Crested Mapuche of Chile and the Yapese Quechua.

The Nikkei is a Paco Mapuche with Japanese domestic chicken genes. The Nikkei ancestral progenitors include Jitokko, Japanese White Silky and Paco Mapuche. They are named after the Nikkei people who created them.

Here's a link about the Nikkei...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkei_people

And on a side note:
It is critical that people know the difference and the history of these cultural breeds so they don't just become popularized and out of ignorance have their bloodlines destroyed by mixing.

Yashar I totally agree with you on the quote below! I raise Icelandic chickens pure also, even though they are alandrace breed, we want to keep them pure Icelandic!!! Lynn in Okla.

And on a side note:
It is critical that people know the difference and the history of these cultural breeds so they don't just become popularized and out of ignorance have their bloodlines destroyed by mixing.

Oh, and they also do very well in extreme cold...

The Huastec is also known as the Mexican Taihe or Mexican Silky, though the actual silken plumage is recessive with only one in ten being feathered like a silky. The Huastec has a unique appearance - the other two ancestral progenitor breeds are the Paco or Crested Mapuche of Chile and the Yapese Quechua.

The Nikkei is a Paco Mapuche with Japanese domestic chicken genes. The Nikkei ancestral progenitors include Jitokko, Japanese White Silky and Paco Mapuche. They are named after the Nikkei people who created them.

Here's a link about the Nikkei...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikkei_people

And on a side note:

Another very critical part of raising a land race breed, from any country, is that you do not cull for any certain color or charecteristics, as say you would raising Buckeye or Plymouth Rocks in which all birds must be the same, and follow the APA SOP.
Many I have met since having Icelandics have mentioned which to keep & which to sell/cull?
And so some love the reds, some love just the blues, and after generations this system can cull out the various colors & patterns in a land race fowl breed.

I am still looking for more info & hatching eggs for Black Quechua Olmec.......or perphaps even a cockerel or 2 for a Ameraucana layer flock only.
Anyone have 6 hatching eggs or ?
Please PM me.

Back
Top Bottom