Maran vs. Cochin rooster temperment

ranchmomma2

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Gosh I hope I am posting this in the right place...so sorry if not....just wondering if anyone has opinions regarding the nature of cochin roosters vs. marans. I am trying to pick a rooster for my mix flock and those two are at the top of my list. I have little ones about so no naughty roosters allowed :) any tips greatly appreciated.

Gosh I hope I am posting this in the right place...so sorry if not....just wondering if anyone has opinions regarding the nature of cochin roosters vs. marans. I am trying to pick a rooster for my mix flock and those two are at the top of my list. I have little ones about so no naughty roosters allowed :) any tips greatly appreciated.
Welcome. Both breeds are nice and can have very well behaved roosters. I've come to the conclusion that often roosters' temperament is an individual and not so much of a breed thing. You can't always paint all of the same breed with the same brush.
That said, what chickens do you have in the rest of your flock? What are you striving for? Do you want to raise your own peeps and what color eggs do you want them to lay?
For example, although I do love cochins (had them as a child), I would probably choose a BCM rooster now only because I have marans hens and I could use him to make olive eggers, which is what I am doing now, so it is a very individual choice.

Thank you for your reply. I will have Australorps, Wyandottes and Orpingtons. Probably will not be raising chicks, and egg color doesn't matter too much. I had a Wyandotte rooster that was huge and not at all a gentlemen to his girls, I just want to avoid that. I have not heard good things about the Australorp roosters and I am afraid that an Orpington's comb might freeze as its a pretty sizeable single comb...

Thank you for your reply. I will have Australorps, Wyandottes and Orpingtons. Probably will not be raising chicks, and egg color doesn't matter too much. I had a Wyandotte rooster that was huge and not at all a gentlemen to his girls, I just want to avoid that. I have not heard good things about the Australorp roosters and I am afraid that an Orpington's comb might freeze as its a pretty sizeable single comb...
It might come down to which is the easier to get. The cochins are cuddly and have lots of feathers on the feet but then my black copper and blue splash marans have feathered legs too. The cochins have more feathers and the feat are really feathery while the marans have feathers on the outer leg going out to the outer toe. Not all the marans in the US have the feathered legs if that is a concern for you

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. I've raised both breeds and your odds are better of getting a gentle rooster for children with Cochins, which are typically gentle giants. My children made lap pets of our Cochins. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your rooster.

Back
Top Bottom