Marans Chicks: What Colors are These Chicks?

PupsNHens

Songster
Sep 19, 2017
N. Texas
I picked up 3 "assorted rare Marans" chicks this morning. I got the two blue chicks they had left, and the only "chipmunk" colored chick they had. They weren't sure what colors they were, so I did a bit of searching and am hoping someone might be able to confirm (or correct) my guesses :)

The chick on left, the darker blue, is either a blue or blue copper (this one I'm pretty confident about as I have a 5 month old blue pullet). The middle chick is smaller and is the only one that doesn't have feathers on her legs, so I'm wondering if she might be a blue cuckoo. The chick on the right, the "chipmunk" colored one, does have feathers on her legs and is the one I'm most curious about. The gal at the feed store thought she might be wheaten, but she doesn't look like the wheaten chick pictures I've seen at all. I've found information that golden salmon and silver salmon Marans chicks have a chipmunk pattern, but I didn't find any good chick photos to compare, esp. for the silver salmon color. Is anyone familiar with these colors? Does she look like a golden salmon or silver salmon Marans chick?

IMG_0606 (3).jpg

Hi,
I used to dabble in Golden Salmon.this chick does have the e+ allele of Golden Salmon , by way of the head stripe. But I am seeing crude autosomal barring and wondering what is up with that. Pure Golden Salmon are very rare. Its because they are a completely recessive color pallette. There are no hypostatic genes in Golden Salmon.it is the same as Black Breasted Red.

There is something going on with the head stripe. It's edges should be crisply and sharply defined with a very, very narrow line of black on the edges of the arrow which goes up over the chicks skull.
Chick down is absolutely definitive in Golden Salmon. Any unwanted genes mess it up.
I think you have an extra gene in the mix .not to worry tho, it's early in the chicks life and this will be a very pretty bird. May surprise us.
No eb ( brown) allele in this bird or it would have a brown helmet instead of the head stripe. Might be e+/eWh. That's very possible. Makes a pretty bird. I am thinking this because the head stripe is slightly faded in hue. Plus there is a pale spot in the middle of the end of the head stripe which should not be there.
eWh is the Wheaten allele.
An allele is the basic canvas upon which the other colors and modifiers of color are painted.
Best,
Karen

There is an abberation of the Black Copper color which looks like Off-color Golden Salmon but is really a poorly colored Black Copper. Time will tell, it will be interesting to watch this chick get its adult feathers later on.
Best,
Karen

There is something going on with the head stripe. It's edges should be crisply and sharply defined with a very, very narrow line of black on the edges of the arrow which goes up over the chicks skull.
Chick down is absolutely definitive in Golden Salmon. Any unwanted genes mess it up.
I think you have an extra gene in the mix .not to worry tho, it's early in the chicks life and this will be a very pretty bird. May surprise us.
No eb ( brown) allele in this bird or it would have a brown helmet instead of the head stripe. Might be e+/eWh. That's very possible. Makes a pretty bird. I am thinking this because the head stripe is slightly faded in hue. Plus there is a pale spot in the middle of the end of the head stripe which should not be there.
eWh is the Wheaten allele.
An allele is the basic canvas upon which the other colors and modifiers of color are painted.
Best,
Karen

Thank you! Very interesting info! I took a closer look at the pale spot on her head and I think it's missing down, as if she may have been pecked on the head while at the feed store. It should be interesting to watch how she changes as she feathers out. You can't see it very well, but the stripe from her eye already has some color variation like you see in her wing feathers.

Thanks again for all the info!

Yep it still looks like the rare golden salmon. And a pullet at that. you need to take this picture and send it to Bev Davis at www.bevsmarans.com Bev has been working on Golden salmon for quite a while and she can give you more education . I'm absolutely stunned to Golden salmon would come from a commercial supplier. it could be out of a black copper which would mean it's carrying unwanted genes but it looks better than most I've seen. contact Bev Davis and talk to her about this picture.
Best ,
Karen

Last edited:
Yep it still looks like the rare golden salmon. And a pullet at that. you need to take this picture and send it to Bev Davis at www.bevsmarans.com Bev has been working on Golden salmon for quite a while and she can give you more education . I'm absolutely stunned to Golden salmon would come from a commercial supplier. it could be out of a black copper which would mean it's carrying unwanted genes but it looks better than most I've seen. contact Bev Davis and talk to her about this picture.
Best ,
Karen

Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to look into the breed more now :)

Back
Top Bottom