Marans... Not APA Approved???

Quote:
Well, they'll have to be accepted eventually!
rant.gif

Nick, I wasn't going to comment on this thread but feel I must after your last statement.

What makes you think that the APA SOP must accept the Marans breed into the SOP ? There are requirements the breed has to go through before they will be accepted just like any other breed. If I had a vote they would not be accepted without more breeding for Quality. The BC Marans do not breed very uniform and should not be approved at this time.

If you check out the Marans thread all of this info you are asking for is already there and has been there for months. No need to keep going over the same thing when it already is in print. Don

I was joking.
smile.png

Quote:
They JUST published the newest edition of the standard. Yep, the self-blue bearded silkies did not make it into the book, but they ARE APA approved!

Every variety and breed is approved separately following a specific, long and detailed process. Yes, it is possible to approve more than one variety of a breed at a time, but not usual, even when the breed is first being approved.

Bantam Marans are ABA recognised, but I don;t recall the variety, and my Bantam Standard is in the other room.

What date was it released?

At the APA National they stated that it was currently being printed, and those who had ordered copies would have them in their hands by mid-January.

Pinkchick, I got the SOP printed on the Welsummer Club however, it does not really compare with the UK and Dutch standard of perfection which they do list more of the disqualifications, more detailed in what they should have and not have.

Welsummers should be consisent in type and colors while the Marans have more colors and have two types, the French and English but I am sure they would have one for American Marans. There is always something to "twist" around in certain breeds (or all if it does happen) to make us, Americans, different than the UK, Europe, Canadians. That's the problem that most of us has forgotten, what is really the SOP to begin with? Should we follow the same standards as the foreign SOPs? Or do we need to be different?

Like my German Welsummer bantams, they are darker and bigger than the Dutch Welsummer Bantams. The Germans have more of a OE look while the Dutch looks more like the miniature sized Welsummer. Nothing wrong with both of them but it just depends on what the judges are looking for and how the SOP would be written up because we do have certain origins "looks" in our breeds.

Quote:
Just like with Marans we are able to breed our fowl anyway we would like, but if we are showing in the USA the only Standard that matters is the APA SOP. Don

So we are not going by the French or English SOF details. Bummer! I guess we do "Americanized" the breeds that came over here and make the standard to OUR way, not following the English or French or UK standards.
sad.png

How come UK got all the good birds over there????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Most any breed will be better in the original country. APA has their own rules to go by and a lot is up to the promoting group what is included in the Standards, sometimes the standards are just not written up very good, and they are not easy to change once they are accepted. Don

For APA or ABA recognition, a written standard must be provided that details the breed standards. The birds shown at a qualifying meet must match the standard as written.

Certain characteristics can be used to designate different varieties, so one could theoretically have both feather legged and non-feather legged marans, just as one has bearded and non bearded silkies and polish, or rose and single combed RIR & leghorns. However, other than that characteristic, the birds would have to match in type. I know with serama, they altered the standard for type and size quite a lot for recognition. Personally, I prefer the serama of the more traditional type and size, but I am not a serama breeder. My understanding is that there was a lot of variation in type and size at the ABA quailifying meet amongst the birds shown.

Quote:
Most any breed will be better in the original country. APA has their own rules to go by and a lot is up to the promoting group what is included in the Standards, sometimes the standards are just not written up very good, and they are not easy to change once they are accepted. Don

That is a real shame when it is not easy to change once they are accepted. A real shame! I found alot of flaws in the standards and it opens more questions than answers. Some of the Welsummer folks expressed desire to "update" and add more information about the standards.

Yes I can understand if there are several origins within the breed but they should give details on what goes and what is not acceptable. I remember the fluffy tail heads in the Wheaten Maran thread going on in there and that should be included somewhere if they are accepted OR DQ/fault. As for the leg featherings, one must be careful, want profuse featherings almost like Cochin or something similar to a Faverolles.

Silkies, it really stumped me because there are several breeders out there that has their "trademark" for example, Hattrick Silkies vs hatchery Silkies.....how much crest you want on them and how much of an extreme of "poofness" required in a Silkie.

Now how would one want to amend changes of the SOP? There are some birds out there that are poor quality and they only breed of their class and they get ribbons. Not a good example we want. I've seen too many Barred Rocks that won BOS/BOB when the back part of their comb looked like someone pulled the "putty" end of the comb and it did not come back in shape. UGLY!

Why are the Black Copper Marans being the first to be ATTEMPTED to be accepted? I would think that it would be easier to accept a breed with a coloration that is already established in the standard rather then have to accept the coloration and the breed.

Quote:

That is a real shame when it is not easy to change once they are accepted. A real shame! I found alot of flaws in the standards and it opens more questions than answers. Some of the Welsummer folks expressed desire to "update" and add more information about the standards.

Yes I can understand if there are several origins within the breed but they should give details on what goes and what is not acceptable. I remember the fluffy tail heads in the Wheaten Maran thread going on in there and that should be included somewhere if they are accepted OR DQ/fault. As for the leg featherings, one must be careful, want profuse featherings almost like Cochin or something similar to a Faverolles.

Silkies, it really stumped me because there are several breeders out there that has their "trademark" for example, Hattrick Silkies vs hatchery Silkies.....how much crest you want on them and how much of an extreme of "poofness" required in a Silkie.

Now how would one want to amend changes of the SOP? There are some birds out there that are poor quality and they only breed of their class and they get ribbons. Not a good example we want. I've seen too many Barred Rocks that won BOS/BOB when the back part of their comb looked like someone pulled the "putty" end of the comb and it did not come back in shape. UGLY!

From what I understand, the way the APA judges judge, is between the contestants, comparisons if you will of all the birds present, rather than judging the birds against the SOP. In my opinion, if NONE of the birds in the show do not even faintly resemble the SOP, the ribbons should be with held. That's how so much junk gets out into the breeding world as "show winning stock" when in reality, they should be culls. What's the point of having an SOP if the judges don't use it accordingly?? JMHO

Back
Top Bottom