Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
I am so sorry about your hen.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
How sad!

PINK - - I will get back with you . .. ..
Flgarden girl - - we are still thinking about that. YELLOW FLYS are the biggest problem. We are going to wait and see if we need to.

DON and others.....
I was watching my F1 ( first generation of offspring yesterday) and was noticing that my two hens are throwing two different back lines.
I may NEVER show a bird, but the sop is the what I am trying to breed my birds toward...... That being said, I was wondering if the standard specifies or implies that our ladies should have a certain back line.

Here is what I am seeing. This is an 18 - 20 week old pullet. Notice the little triangular teepee on her back.

IMG-20110602-00084.jpg

Here is an OLDER HEN .. . NOTICE absolutely NO triangular teepee on the back.....
Does it matter if they have or do not have it ?

IMG_1994.jpg

I sure wish I hand Pink's little pink highliter!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Lisa, does the backbone have a rise to it or is it just feathers, Run your open hand from the front of back to the rear and see if there is a structural rise in the back.

I don't think it matters if they have it or not. Just a variation of color...looks like poofy feathers.

We have yellow flies here too lately yuck, I think those the ones that are considered Deer flies. I was looking at the UF extension site yesterday reading about all the diff kinds of biting insects and @ 75 diff kinds of mosquitos we have here in FL. I did my last CEUs on some mosquito borne illnesses. Yuck.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_mosquito_control

Last edited:
Boy - this board is full of strong people!!

((((hugs)))) to you all

I have my own story of woe (poor health), but it doesn't even compare to the trials you all have lived through!

Mel - hang in there, no matter what the doctors have to say - the sun will come out again!
I have about every "ologist" working on me and I'm still getting out there each day and enjoying my farm!

To those with children with Autism - (((hugs))) to you, too!
I work with children with all types of special needs in the school system and LOVE my job!
BUT I give you parents EVERY BIT of credit b/c they come home to you each night and it is NOT an easy job!

Cadeau.... thanks...

Pink... hugs... so sorry.. I know how much you loved that one!!!!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
math... At the front of the BC thread is an outline..you can actually copy it onto a transparency and use it on your pictures.. It show the outline of the bird... It is for all marans colors... I have added it here for you.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=gkZATdn3KomesQP1ke3gCA&ved=0CBYQ9QEwAA Here is the link.. thanks to Brenda for doing this so we could see... If you have a sharpie and a plastic you can make one and fit your own birds... the topline is very important.

http://www.marans.eu/silhangl.htm Here is the page that shows both the hen and rooster

Math: Do you have more than one roo? What hens are you using? My guess would be too short of a back on the roo on too short of a hen to produce those offspring.. I am thinking you must have on long backed hen that is producing the desired result and that your rooster choice if you are using one may need rethinking....Just a guess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom