Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2010.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I am so sorry about your hen. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] How sad!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    PINK - - I will get back with you . .. ..
    Flgarden girl - - we are still thinking about that. YELLOW FLYS are the biggest problem. We are going to wait and see if we need to.

DON and others.....
    I was watching my F1 ( first generation of offspring yesterday) and was noticing that my two hens are throwing two different back lines.
    I may NEVER show a bird, but the sop is the what I am trying to breed my birds toward...... That being said, I was wondering if the standard specifies or implies that our ladies should have a certain back line.

Here is what I am seeing. This is an 18 - 20 week old pullet. Notice the little triangular teepee on her back.

[​IMG]

Here is an OLDER HEN .. . NOTICE absolutely NO triangular teepee on the back.....
    Does it matter if they have or do not have it ?

[​IMG]

I sure wish I hand Pink's little pink highliter! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    here is another 18 - 20 week old pullet with the little teepee action going on.

[​IMG]

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:Hi Lisa, does the backbone have a rise to it or is it just feathers, Run your open hand from the front of back to the rear and see if there is a structural rise in the back.

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I don't think it matters if they have it or not. Just a variation of color...looks like poofy feathers.

We have yellow flies here too lately yuck, I think those the ones that are considered Deer flies. I was looking at the UF extension site yesterday reading about all the diff kinds of biting insects and @ 75 diff kinds of mosquitos we have here in FL. I did my last CEUs on some mosquito borne illnesses. Yuck.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_mosquito_control

6. Cadeau

Cadeau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Boy - this board is full of strong people!!

((((hugs)))) to you all

I have my own story of woe (poor health), but it doesn't even compare to the trials you all have lived through!

Mel - hang in there, no matter what the doctors have to say - the sun will come out again!
    I have about every "ologist" working on me and I'm still getting out there each day and enjoying my farm!

To those with children with Autism - (((hugs))) to you, too!
    I work with children with all types of special needs in the school system and LOVE my job!
    BUT I give you parents EVERY BIT of credit b/c they come home to you each night and it is NOT an easy job!

7. Cadeau

Cadeau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks Math - that explains it perfectly!!

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Cadeau.... thanks...

Pink... hugs... so sorry.. I know how much you loved that one!!!! [​IMG]

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    math... At the front of the BC thread is an outline..you can actually copy it onto a transparency and use it on your pictures.. It show the outline of the bird... It is for all marans colors... I have added it here for you.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=gkZATdn3KomesQP1ke3gCA&ved=0CBYQ9QEwAA Here is the link.. thanks to Brenda for doing this so we could see... If you have a sharpie and a plastic you can make one and fit your own birds... the topline is very important.

http://www.marans.eu/silhangl.htm Here is the page that shows both the hen and rooster

Math: Do you have more than one roo? What hens are you using? My guess would be too short of a back on the roo on too short of a hen to produce those offspring.. I am thinking you must have on long backed hen that is producing the desired result and that your rooster choice if you are using one may need rethinking....Just a guess.

10. AyeUpChuck

AyeUpChuck Striving for Self-Sufficiency

Mar 7, 2011
    Beavercreek, OR
    Quote:[​IMG] so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by