Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Aug 7, 2010.

1. sabella

sabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Newnan Ga
    Quote:I tell Dd ( dear daughter) that she should either marry rich OR marry a man who has tools and knows how to use them!
    NOW BOYS, before you even go there.. . .. . REMEMBER my Dh made this for me

The Gazebo and fire pit.. . ..

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/cliff1801/Cliffs projects/IMG_1356-1.jpg

So, these are the kind of tools I am talking about !

I did not marry rich AND DO NOT regret one minute of my decision.....

Tell your DD that if you marry rich life is great.. Till he goes broke. Rich guys don't do poor well. Don't ask me how I know.

Lovely gazebo!

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Oooo Sabella, you are SO right there! Some rich guys can't even do rich well either. [​IMG] I've been rich, and I've been so poor I couldn't even afford to spell POOR; I was P'. [​IMG] Now I'm just simple, simple, simple....and I like it!

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Jeremy~

SHE IS LOVELY!!!!! [​IMG]

4. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Quote:x2! [​IMG]

5. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Mel~ Since this is a family forum I cannot say the things that I want to say, but I will say.....today is a new day and the sun is shining. Geebs is right.....you are made of some kind of metal...you just don't believe it yet. Keep your head up, take a deep breath, say a little Thanks, and remember..... it's the best day in the world when we wake up still breathing my friend. [​IMG]

Go outside with a nice hot cup of java, pull up a chair and sip your coffee with your beautiful Marans chookies and your beloved Tippy. It will make you feel better.....but try to sit in the sun...it's still kinda chilly in the shade. [​IMG]

6. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Hi Sue!

So glad they are doing wonderful. Oh and just a quick note, you still have a Marans with an "s" even if you only have one Marans.
    (I'm surprized our friend Debbi hadn't got to that first....whewwwww.....[​IMG]...she has a big red marker and is not afraid to use it. [​IMG]) Would love to see photos of them when you have the time. I so wished that I could have sent you more eggs, it's just not happy egg-ville around here right now. Oh and careful about those Barnies.....they can steal your heart just as quick as that little blue one did. My Barnies are extremely friendly and docile. [​IMG]

7. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] You know me well. Must not have had enough coffee yet, and it's a black sharpie, Miss Smarty Pants! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Debbi

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Hey Math Ace ~ How is your limpy roo doing today?? Today was the first day that Blue Butt wanted out of the run. He's still limping, but not nearly as badly as he was. This will be going on 2+ weeks here for him.

9. pinkchick

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:You know....I've been thinking and following both yours and Math's limpy boys and have a couple questions. [​IMG]

So....neither of them is showing signs of bumble right?

Neither of them has any open sores on the leg or foot anywhere, right?

Are there any hot spots on the leg or the foot? I am especially wondering about the shank area.

Any signs of swelling?

How much does each bird weigh?

How high are their roosts? Or how high is the highest point they can get up to and perch or when they are resting outside?

Would they ever be jumping off something that is more than 5ft off the ground?

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Geez I came on here feeling depressed and now I really do lol!!! Hugs to all of you guys. Mel I really hope everything turns around for you!
    Yesterday I lost my FAVORITE Marans hen, Bella. She was a light blue. She was the first Marans I hatched and I was really attatched to her and her to me.
    She died in my arms gasping for breath. I was crying and trying to give her cpr and she started siezing and just passed away. I don't know what happened to her or why she died. She hadn't laid an egg for a few days and was moulting so I thought the not laying was due to that. She didn't seem eggbound and was eating and drinking till the end but seemed a little depressed (not running around as much as usual). None of the other birds were/are sick. I'm still in shock.

Math your dh did a great job on the gazebo and firepit. Are you going to screen it in?

I have an autistic son too. He is my younger son. Yep quite a challenge. He isn't severely autistic but mild and lots of communication type problems and a few other things. Super smart especially at making anything electronic, computer stuff, artistic, etc. When he was 6 we took him to a Pizza Hut where he saw the machine that you put the quarters in to grab the stuffed animals and drop them out the slot. When we got home he made one! He also took a motor out of a cd player when he was 5 and turned it into a little car that ran all over the house. He still does that sort of thing. The teachers all thought he was dumb because he wouldn't talk and the school wouldn't even bother testing him for anything. We had to have it all done ourselves at our own expense. We took him to an expert at diagnosing child disorders etc. Once he had that in place they still punished him for not talking even though the psychologists said specifically not to!! It was a mess.. He is 19 and going to college now... so..so much they knew!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by