Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Lisa, if the judge deems that there is not a bird in a class good enough to place they have the option of not placing anything regardless of a DQ or not.

thumbsup.gif

thanks for the book title as well Don, I have to make sure that wasn't the book I saw the other day, and if its not, I'll be ordering a copy.

Welcome back Walt....

It is all good Walt! We are playing nice with each other
big_smile.png

I posted pics of the marans birds from Newnan... and a nice healthy discussion followed.

For the most part, I think we were surprised to see so many marans entered that were presenting and identified (by the judge) with DQs.

There were a couple of birds that placed and looked to of had DQ's that were not caught by the judge.

A few of us wanted to know what the procedure is if all the birds in one catergory have DQ's. Does there have to be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place bird if every bird in the catergory is presenting DQ's?
Birds that are DQ'd don't place at all.

Walt

any word on my comb question?

Do the genetics for the twist/wave in the comb work the same way as the carnation comb? i.e. recessive??

What about thumb prints? How do they work?

Last edited:
any word on my comb question?

Do the genetics for the twist/wave in the comb work the same way as the carnation comb? i.e. recessive??

What about thumb prints? How do they work?

I'm guessing Don or Walt might be some of the best ones to tackle this question. I just cull for it and move on and haven't really looked into the specific genetics of it

Don, I hear what you are saying about the sister-brother breeding. It creates very uniform birds. I unfortunately, had a bad experience with my flock of sheep, and after 10 years of inbreeding, had lambs with dislocated hips. Hard to replace ewes with 6-8years of breeding history. The first year with 1 lamb was a fluke; the next year I had 2. I had a serious problem. In this case, I was willing to give up my line breeding. I knew I could stop the expression of the gene by outcrossing to a completely unrelated ram. For two lambing seasons, no hip locations.

Knowing what you have talked about here, I might get brave and breed half the ewe back to Ram 1 to test for dislocations. And cull the mother of any lamb resulting with a dislocation . Then the next year, breed the other half to the same ram testing again for the dislocation.

The outcross has resulted in heavier, faster growing animals for the Easter Market.

There is a place for inbreeding; just have to be willing to cull. And culling can be hard when I 've had some of these girls for 10 years. AND you clearly said culling is the key. I agree, just not always emotionally able to do it.

Just my experience.

Thanks for answering, Vicki!

You cull any bird with a wave or a thumbprint? pullets, too? (though I don't think I've seen a thumbprint on a girl....have to look tomorrow?)

Vicki - any hints on which roo you like? I'm dying to know!
I have my SO convinced to take ALL the extra roos to the auction on Tuesday!
celebrate.gif

Thanks for answering, Vicki!

You cull any bird with a wave or a thumbprint? pullets, too? (though I don't think I've seen a thumbprint on a girl....have to look tomorrow?)

Vicki - any hints on which roo you like? I'm dying to know!
I have my SO convinced to take ALL the extra roos to the auction on Tuesday!
celebrate.gif
Hey Katelyn, I'm just now sitting down to get ready to work on an email back to you. Today has been chore day around here since Next Sunday is my only day off for 12 days.

On the birds with a thumbprint or wave...to be totally honest, it depends upon how desperate I am. If I'm in a tight spot, I will test mate a bird with a wave to see what they throw for offspring, most of the time I don't even bother with the thumbprint birds. I have only seen thumbprints as well in my roos and haven't seen it in any of my girls.

Hey Katelyn, I'm just now sitting down to get ready to work on an email back to you. Today has been chore day around here since Next Sunday is my only day off for 12 days.

On the birds with a thumbprint or wave...to be totally honest, it depends upon how desperate I am. If I'm in a tight spot, I will test mate a bird with a wave to see what they throw for offspring, most of the time I don't even bother with the thumbprint birds. I have only seen thumbprints as well in my roos and haven't seen it in any of my girls.
ok...shot an email to ya

Back
Top Bottom