Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Got a call tonight from a man I saw in town the other day while delivering the Silkie pullet. Said he is coming out tomorrow to get my roosters, how many do I have?? Told him to bring at least 8 large cages!
gig.gif
Keep your fingers crossed for me that he actually comes and takes them all!!!
fl.gif
Then, I can start setting up pens!!
celebrate.gif

Oh my - 12 days on in a row?!

I spend my weekends catching up on all the big stuff on the farm - and I really look forward to getting things done!
Not much, other than regular chores get done after work, in the dark.

Can't imagine going 12 days at a stretch...
You must be really organized!!

Fingers crossed, Debbi!!
I'm excited to be getting rid of mine, too!!

Last edited:
Got a call tonight from a man I saw in town the other day while delivering the Silkie pullet. Said he is coming out tomorrow to get my roosters, how many do I have?? Told him to bring at least 8 large cages!
gig.gif
fl.gif
celebrate.gif

I will certainly be keeping my fingers crossed!
fl.gif
I really hope it works out for you to get them out of your hair and make it so you can get your breeding pens sorted and start your test mating!

Oh my - 12 days on in a row?!

I spend my weekends catching up on all the big stuff on the farm - and I really look forward to getting things done!
Not much, other than regular chores get done after work, in the dark.

Can't imagine going 12 days at a stretch...
You must be really organized!!

Fingers crossed, Debbi!!
I'm excited to be getting rid of mine, too!!

I usually am really organized, but since I hurt my back I've been in a downward spiral of more and more disorganization and feeling chaotic. My day off falls at day 7 of my 12 day stretch and then have 5 more work days after....then I'm not sure what I have after that.....the only thing I do know is that I have the weekend of the 16th and 17th off to go to a sale in KS I go to every spring and fall. I just hope I don't come back with too many birds...luckily I'm pretty picky. I can only think of a couple of ones I'm looking for...and if they don't have them, well, no worries for me. haha Half the fun for me is the sale itself and talking with some of the crazy guys down there....they crack me up!

Last edited:
gig.gif
fl.gif
celebrate.gif

fl.gif
I am lucky to have a couple of outlets for them now.... (insert smiley wiping the sweat off my brow) DON'T Lose his NUMBER! He will want more! I am about ready to call one now.

Thanks, Vicki!
Glad you're filling your day off with something FUN!!

Can't wait to get rid of my surplus boys, too!!

I will actually have an EMPTY pen!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, Vicki!
Glad you're filling your day off with something FUN!!

Can't wait to get rid of my surplus boys, too!!

I will actually have an EMPTY pen!!
wee.gif
No problem...I'm gonna need to get myself to bed here before too long so I will probably reply to your questions in email tomorrow after work if I get off at a decent time.

I'm glad you are getting things sorted over there and finding some extra space!

I am hatching and buying and growing up birds that I intend to start breeding (quality considered). My plans are going to involve a lot of culls like has been discussed here today. I have never taken a life with my hands so the first times will be hard I am sure. I have been discussing this a lot with my husband. I read to him the comment earlier " better to have one good breeding pair then lots of mediocre birds" (that might not have been an exact quote...lol) I subscribe to this philosophy. I then showed my husband a 9 week old cockerel with a side sprig and told him that this bird was going... he said "are you going to kill it now?" eeekk! called my bluff. The little guy was in my hands... the thought of killing him was hard. Ok pretty soon I will be there. Getting closer...

An ameraucana breeder I was corresponding with awhile back told me about RAW. A movement for feeding dogs and cats raw meat (i.e.. chicken). The breeder suggested raising chicks to 12 weeks then feeding culls to a dog. I looked up this idea of feeding dogs raw meat. It makes sense to me...within reason of course. Somehow this makes me feel better about hatching 100 chicks and only keeping 10. At least the other 90 will be put to a good use, a healthier way of feeding my dog. It feels more... circle of life. The idea of just throwing away 90 chicks out of every 100 felt like such a disregard for life. But if their life has a purpose it seems more respectful.

Pretty soon... I will be able to do it. I have been watching youtube videos.. I think I can do this.

Last edited:
I am hatching and buying and growing up birds that I intend to start breeding (quality considered). My plans are going to involve a lot of culls like has been discussed here today. I have never taken a life with my hands so the first times will be hard I am sure. I have been discussing this a lot with my husband. I read to him the comment earlier " better to have one good breeding pair then lots of mediocre birds" (that might not have been an exact quote...lol) I subscribe to this philosophy. I then showed my husband a 9 week old cockerel with a side sprig and told him that this bird was going... he said "are you going to kill it now?" eeekk! called my bluff. The little guy was in my hands... the thought of killing him was hard. Ok pretty soon I will be there. Getting closer...

An ameraucana breeder I was corresponding with awhile back told me about RAW. A movement for feeding dogs and cats raw meat (i.e.. chicken). The breeder suggested raising chicks to 12 weeks then feeding culls to a dog. I looked up this idea of feeding dogs raw meat. It makes sense to me...within reason of course. Somehow this makes me feel better about hatching 100 chicks and only keeping 10. At least the other 90 will be put to a good use, a healthier way of feeding my dog. It feels more... circle of life. The idea of just throwing away 90 chicks out of every 100 felt like such a disregard for life. But if their life has a purpose it seems more respectful.

Pretty soon... I will be able to do it. I have been watching youtube videos.. I think I can do this.

I worked up to culling an EE with cross beak, and honestly, it took weeks with many excuses, finally I did the deed, Just aweful. ANd then cleaned the carcass. I boiled it and fed it to the cats. I couldn't eat it. DH won't be doing the deed--it will have to be me. I'm all for recycling. In genral I don't feed raw because too many chances of parasites, etc. I figure even cooked, it's far better food than dry chow. I have fed a lot fresh vegies and fruit to my dogs, however the curent boys are very picky: breads and meats only.

Congrats on getting that shipment of chickies. Harrowing delivery! Glad you have a good number now to get going. GL

Back
Top Bottom