Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Well now I am confused..... Copper Marans are Gold Birchen? Why aren't the pullets penciled like the silvers? Does it just not work that way in gold? that would be pretty.

Black Coppers are usually based on the ER (Birchen) gene (as opposed to E (Extended Black) with specific modifiers and inhibitors that are supposed to add the copper (but often hide it, as the case may be!) To be completely technical, I believe it is often ER/ER s+/s+ Ar+/Ar+ Mh/Mh Ml/Ml.

dip all your chickens?

Adams PLUS flea and tick dip.... It is good for treating and preventing chicken mites and lice. I like using a dip instead of spray or dust. I think it does a better job of getting close to the skin. The only catch is that it has to be done on warm days, early on warm days. That way the birds have plenty of time to dry out before going to bed...

If you look on Ohio univeristy web state...

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

you will find the following quote...

Carefully read all labels prior to treatment to make sure withdrawal times are followed for food-producing poultry. Severe lice or mite infestations can be treated initially with a kitten strength dose of a pyrethrin-based medicated spray on the birds to reduce the initial numbers

Adam's flea and tick is a pyrethrin based pesticide. I use the dip at 1/2 strength and it works fine. I use it at 1/2 strength because it doesn't give a kitten strength.
I use to dip the birds in a 5 gallon bucket. The roosters are a tight fit, but everyone else fits fine! Now, I am using a cut off bottom of a 55 gallon barrell. I have about 50 birds that I will try to dip today LOL... Nice day for it because the high will be around 90 degrees.

This is another article that specifically suggest adams for lice and mite control.
http://poultryone.com/articles/mites.html

I usualy dip my birds a couple of times a year, just like I worm them a couple of times a year. Supposedly, the dip does not interfere with eating the eggs or hatching the eggs.... On top of that, the birds smell wonderful for a short time.....At least until another bird poops on them on something equally nasty happens!
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Adams PLUS flea and tick dip.... It is good for treating and preventing chicken mites and lice. I like using a dip instead of spray or dust. I think it does a better job of getting close to the skin. The only catch is that it has to be done on warm days, early on warm days. That way the birds have plenty of time to dry out before going to bed...

If you look on Ohio univeristy web state...

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

you will find the following quote...

Carefully read all labels prior to treatment to make sure withdrawal times are followed for food-producing poultry. Severe lice or mite infestations can be treated initially with a kitten strength dose of a pyrethrin-based medicated spray on the birds to reduce the initial numbers

Adam's flea and tick is a pyrethrin based pesticide. I use the dip at 1/2 strength and it works fine. I use it at 1/2 strength because it doesn't give a kitten strength.
I use to dip the birds in a 5 gallon bucket. The roosters are a tight fit, but everyone else fits fine! Now, I am using a cut off bottom of a 55 gallon barrell. I have about 50 birds that I will try to dip today LOL... Nice day for it because the high will be around 90 degrees.

This is another article that specifically suggest adams for lice and mite control.
http://poultryone.com/articles/mites.html

I usualy dip my birds a couple of times a year, just like I worm them a couple of times a year. Supposedly, the dip does not interfere with eating the eggs or hatching the eggs.... On top of that, the birds smell wonderful for a short time.....At least until another bird poops on them on something equally nasty happens!
sickbyc.gif

I'm confused. The blue quote warns for withdrawl time, yet you don't use it? I use Eprinex for worming and external parasites, and even though it does not have a withdrawl time (supposedly) for meat or milk, I wait at least a week as it is not branded for poultry. I may have to try Adams, I know they have that readily out here, and it sure doesn't cost what the Eprinex does!

CountryFriedChicken ~ Looks like a lovely flock to me. Hard to see the combs in the pics, and providing there are no side sprigs or Carnations on any of the combs, (both of which are DQs in the show ring) looks like you have some really nice birds. The Blue Copper roo has copper on his breast which shouldn't be there, but those roos usually give their female offspring some good hackle color. If they are only laying a 4 on the egg color chart, improvement would be needed there. Do you have a pic of any eggs? Otherwise, they look great!

I'm confused. The blue quote warns for withdrawl time, yet you don't use it? I use Eprinex for worming and external parasites, and even though it does not have a withdrawl time (supposedly) for meat or milk, I wait at least a week as it is not branded for poultry. I may have to try Adams, I know they have that readily out here, and it sure doesn't cost what the Eprinex does!

I remember reading somewhere that since adams does not get in the blood stream, the eggs stay safe.
The blue quote does warn LOOK for a withdrawl time. The only warning on Adams is "Consult a veterarian before using this product on debiltated, aged, medicated, pregnant, or nursing animals." If any one knows a vet, let me know what you find out .....

I do have Eprinex and have used it before. Eprinex worries me because of the way it melts the rubber in the syringes.... The adams just seems like a gentler means of getting the same result...

Question for all you marans lovers- I am new to the breed, as I have 10 chicks of various ages (3, 4 and 5 week olds) and I have come to notice that the older 5 week old cockerels are a whole lot different then the all the others (including their sister of the same age) They are more aggressive to all the birds and to each other. Is this normal for the breed- or is it just testosterone of the older boys? We have raised other cockerels from other breeds and you always could tell they were boys- but never did they act like these two boys. Your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom