Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

samouw ~ Birchen is a color pattern. The chicks pictured are Silver Birchens. Black Coppers are birchens too, although instead of calling them "Gold Birchens", they are called Black Coppers. While the chicks are too young yet to show the full pattern, they will have silver hackles and saddle feathers, instead of copper. Hope that made sense, only one cup of coffee so far!
gig.gif

luckily my ladies won't have any of the saddle feathers...I'm still so thrilled with them and they are growing like weeds!
clap.gif
I was also sneakin a peek at my chicks again this a.m. when I was doin chores and some of them look so good so far....and some of my birchen girls are coloring up as well as some of the black and blue coppers. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this hatching season!

Maybe I'll just buy a few of those rubber, dead chickens and hang them around the porch??
gig.gif
I'm afraid the herbs would get lost in my weedy garden. I think I might try garlic too this year. Maybe I'll just put that up and put on the deck too...

luckily my ladies won't have any of the saddle feathers...I'm still so thrilled with them and they are growing like weeds!
clap.gif
I was also sneakin a peek at my chicks again this a.m. when I was doin chores and some of them look so good so far....and some of my birchen girls are coloring up as well as some of the black and blue coppers. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this hatching season!

DOH!! I meant to interject "in the roos", after the saddle feather remark! I forgot I guess. Can't wait to see them all grown up!

The chickens are mostly staying out of my garden except for one black copper hen. I don't know what she wants in there because she isn't really eating anything...just trampling the okra and corn. One day she pulled up a red onion but left it on the ground, decided it tasted nasty I guess. I still have a little bit of lettuce in there and she doesn't even bother that. Some nights when I lock all the others up she is missing so I go look in the garden and there she is running back and forth trying to get out of the fence. Silly girl why doesn't she just go back out the same way she got in? She seems to like when I go in there to get her so maybe that's it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has rogue birds that don't really eat, but just pull up young plants and smash others. A small sections of my onions are all smashed from one of the girls...annoying!

Lisa, I forgot to tell you that Home Depot has vegetable plants (the Bonnie vegetables etc) on sale half price today. I got some on Friday and the sale is supposed got through today I think. I bought some herb plants too and they took half price off them too.
I am not sure if all the Home Depots are doing this throughout the U.S but it looks like it from the website....
I got some black cherry tomatoes that already have tomatoes on them and golden cayenne peppers and purple and white long skinny type egg plants.

I know what you mean Vicki, I feel sleepy today too and I have cleaning to do because we have company coming tomorrow from out of state grrrr. I really need to get some coffee in me. I am sooo unmotivated today. My little Sebastapol goslings are getting so big already. The male is almost as big as a full grown Marans hen!! I had to take his leg band off.

Bad rouge birdies. I am glad I resisted the urge to thin out the corn and okra...since that hen did it for me. Just not the way I wanted it lol.

Last edited:
Lisa, I forgot to tell you that Home Depot has vegetable plants (the Bonnie vegetables etc) on sale half price today. I got some on Friday and the sale is supposed got through today I think. I bought some herb plants too and they took half price off them too.
I am not sure if all the Home Depots are doing this throughout the U.S but it looks like it from the website....
I got some black cherry tomatoes that already have tomatoes on them and golden cayenne peppers and purple and white long skinny type egg plants.

I know what you mean Vicki, I feel sleepy today too and I have cleaning to do because we have company coming tomorrow from out of state grrrr. I really need to get some coffee in me. I am sooo unmotivated today. My little Sebastapol goslings are getting so big already. The male is almost as big as a full grown Marans hen!! I had to take his leg band off.

Bad rouge birdies. I am glad I resisted the urge to thin out the corn and okra...since that hen did it for me. Just not the way I wanted it lol.

I can't wait to see pics of your little goslings! I just don't have the room to add them too, otherwise I'd probably have geese and ducks and all sorts of stuff.
All the home depots are doing that black friday sale. I picked up some started plants in a few things and some marigolds to line the garden and etc since its so nice already. I have frost blankets that I keep handy for anything that might need it, but for the most part I'm only doing cool season crops at the moment to be safe.
I hope you can get all your cleaning done with no problems...company is great, but lots of extra work, that's for sure!

samouw ~ Birchen is a color pattern. The chicks pictured are Silver Birchens. Black Coppers are birchens too, although instead of calling them "Gold Birchens", they are called Black Coppers. While the chicks are too young yet to show the full pattern, they will have silver hackles and saddle feathers, instead of copper. Hope that made sense, only one cup of coffee so far!
gig.gif
Ok, I think I understand. So the bird in my avatar (wheaten Ameraucana), could be said to have gold birchen coloring?

Thanks, Debbi! :)

Back
Top Bottom